cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Build program crash, also crashes on kernel analyser

I'm trying to use a structure to pass a pointer to buffers on the host side, e.g., cl_mem* buffs, as a pointer to pointers in the kernel side. So far, I've tried to see if the kernel code will build ok. So I did the following kernel test code.

//ex ok:

typedef struct struct_buffs{

float **tab; //or __global float **tab;

}struct_buffs;

__kernel void test(struct_buffs buffs)

{

uint gid = get_global_id(0);

float* buff = buffs.tab[gid]; //or __global float* buff = buffs.tab[gid];

buff[0] = gid;

}

//

This code will build fine, no problem (although I haven't tried to run it yet). So, I could be happy, but I've tried the version below which will make the .exe crash when running clBuildProgram(). It's an access violation (test.exe: 0xC0000005: access violation writing location 0x00000008) (it will also make  kernel analyser 1.10 not respond, I guess for the same reason).

// ex no ok:

typedef struct struct_buffs{

float **tab;

}struct_buffs;

__kernel void test(__global struct_buffs* buffs)

{

uint gid = get_global_id(0);

float* buff = buffs->tab[gid];

buff[0] = gid;

}

So I have 2 questions:

1- Is the second code supposed to crash??

2- In the case of the first code, will the struct_buffs buffs variable be in the global or private memory space?. I mean, will I be able to pass things from the host as I usually do when manipulating a simple buffer (cl_mem buff on the host side and __global float* buff on the kernel side)?

0 Likes
1 Solution
nou
Exemplar

kernel arguments can't be a pointer to pointer. also struct members can't be a OpenCL objects like cl_mem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies