cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dert
Adept I

Bug in Catalyst 12.4

Hey folks, just got notified to update my Catalyst for my ATI Radeon HD5700 series so I did (Version 12.4 Dated 4/29/2012).  Interesting problem popped up right afterwards.  My card is attached to my flat screen TV (I'm using the PC as a media center) via an HDMI cable.  When I turn my TV off for the night and back on again in the morning, I have no audio from the PC over the HDMI cable!  The audio properties show the HDMI cable to be unplugged but clearly it's not since I'm reading it on the screen.  If I unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in, voila!  Sound is back.  I have to re-seat the cable for this to recover, I've tried disabling and enabling the device, defaulting to external speakers via RCA cables into the motherboard etc....cable has to be unplugged and plugged back in again.  It's not the flat screen, I tried using different HDMI ports on it (I've got 3) and my PS3 and whatnot run just fine with all 3 ports.  It's not the Radeon hardware, the video and sound work just fine after re-seating the cable.  The problem started immediately after your last driver update so I'm quite sure that's where the problem lies.  I believe it's some kind of "sleep" issue??  In another words, for some reason when the external HDMI receiver powers off, Catalyst now treats that as "unplugged" and only the audio cannot recover properly when the device powers back on.  Take a peek please and let me know what you find.

71 Replies
dert
Adept I

I just did a system restore to 4/24, prior to the installation of the new 12.4 driver, on my Windows 7 x64 system.  With the previous version of Catalyst, the problem with the HDMI audio dying after the flat screen panel is turned off has disappeared.  It's definitely the new driver.

I've experienced the same problem.  I'm going to try the fix suggested = "Disable the "AMD External Events Utility" in services.msc"

I'm thinking it should be a pretty simple fix.

0 Likes

It failed.  I did notice that the sound isn't disabled until I power the monitor back on; perhaps some sort of event not tripping right?

In either case, very annoying.

0 Likes
rakkakaze
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue, specifically it's when Windows goes into the "sleep" mode to stop transmitting data to the monitor that this issue arises.  I notice immediately because I almost always have music playing and it switches over to the only remaining output which is my headset.  No other measure aside from downgrading will resolve this problem aside from unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in (which is quite a pain if you are setup to not mess with the back of any of your equipment)

0 Likes
stoneroses
Journeyman III

Same here, unplug and plug back in. I have to get up and do it lol. They gone old school on us!

0 Likes
comedyink
Adept I

Also having this same issue when I updated from 12.3 to 12.4, I thought that it maybe it was a problem my Microsoft Xbox Wireless Receiver, but apparently it's not.

Windows 7 x64

HD5870 running via HDMI

0 Likes
amnix
Journeyman III

Completely analogous to the problem. I have a graphics card HD6870. Updated driver to version 12.4. After updating, when the monitor goes into power saving mode (the monitor with speakers, connected by HDMI), lost the sound on the monitor (in the Manage Audio Device - Sound - says that the device is AMD HDMI Output is not connected). After rebooting, the monitor sound is restored, until such time as the monitor will not go back into sleep mode.

Windows 7 x64 - HD6870 - running via HDMI

0 Likes
cccccc
Adept I

same issue here with ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

reverted back to 12.3 until a patch comes out.

0 Likes
gramin
Journeyman III

Registered for these forums to echo the same frustrations as everyone above. 12.4 is also causing my sound to disappear when my monitor or TV is shut off.

0 Likes
mefyrx
Journeyman III

I was gonna post the same issue here

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits English

I have a Sony Bravia 46'' tv

Since i've put the 12.4 driver, i've bin having the issue where the HDMI audio would be offline in my list.

I'm using 2x Radeon 5770 in crossfire

The only way to make the sound apear is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, or just activate or deactivate the crossfire, since it allow the card to look again for connection and then the card figure out that theres an audio channel

Then if i would change my tv input to something else than the HDMI-CPU connection, minutes later it would go offline, or if i would switch back to the HDMI-CPU input, it would go immediatly offline.  Then i would have to do the hole thing again...

I wasn't sur it was the issue since i,ve done a bunch of change, so i've done a clean install of Windows 7, then Windows did it's automatic updates and installed their driver for the ATI, after rebooting, everything was still working.

I've installed 12.4, immediatly after that, i ran in the same issue

So i've reinstalled Windows 7 again and installed back 12.2 and i'm ok

(I'd rather have a cleaned installed than downgrading drivers)

I know in the installation package, theres something named HDMI something and the version is a bit different, minor change in the number.  Perhaps they did tried to put the HDMI sound connection offline when your TV is not oppened or not on the CPU-HDMI input, so for those that had the HDMI audio by default would immediatly switch back to the next audio connection avaible so that you always get a channel ready

...in 12.2 we don't have the issue because the HDMI audio channel is always on even though it's not connected to the right input...so if you have it as the default audio, you won,t hear anything while it's not connected...and you'll have to change your audio output to your cpu speaker for exemple...

It's a good idea but i think they need to work on that....even better because K-Lite is doiing the same if the HDMI output is not there, it's gonna go back to the default channel....then if you open K-Lite with your HDMI channel ready, your HDMI default is automaticly back....

0 Likes

Disable the "AMD External Events Utility" in services.msc

This has worked for me.

0 Likes

Where do you find this setting. cant find in catalyst

0 Likes

type "services.msc" into your start menu; it gives you the windows utility for messing with services.  Look for AMD ones.  You'll need to be admin.  It's not in catalyst.

edit:  This is a bit like performing a lobotomy...  You could be disabling other important functionality.

0 Likes

Thanks, stopping that service worked for me.

My Setup:

Graphics Card:  Radeon HD 6670

Monitor:  Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM  (second monitor on system)

Output:  HDMI (using a HDMI to DVI cable)

Problem.  Once my computer went to sleep and was awoken, the U2212HM had a blue garbled screen.

Only way to fix it would be to unplug the HDMI cable from the graphics card and reinsert, disable the monitor and re-enable it, or something similar.

Stopping the service fixed the problem.  Starting the service brought the problem back.  So that is the cause.

Thanks.

0 Likes

This did not work for me, I toggled it off, and disabled it.  Reset my HDMI for sound, came back to it half a day later with my tv "unplugged"

0 Likes

Also failed for me.

Further description of problem:

With dual monitors and the start bar moved over to the other one so I have continuous view, I see that the sound turns off when I turn the HDMI monitor/TV back on.  It still detects and attempts to use the sound channel when the monitor is turned off, but the moment I turn it back on...

0 Likes
zorxd
Journeyman III

Same here.

Windows 7 x64, radeon HD 6850.

HDMI audio worked fine with 12.1. Stopped working (shows as disconnected) after upgrading to 12.4. Downgrading to 12.3 solved the issue.

0 Likes
dert
Adept I

It appears the developers don't actually read their own forum?  At any rate, I just opened a Help Desk ticket with all this info to prod them a bit.  I keep getting prompted to update my driver to 12.4 and I just can't with this bug in place.  Has to be fixed.  I'll update you once they've responded to the ticket.

0 Likes
flook
Journeyman III

This bug is driving me nuts!  It has wasted so much of my time already.  I didn't think anything of it when the software told me there was a new update.  Go ahead and update to get the latest and greatest.  Now I constantly have to unplug and plug my hdmi cable to get audio going.  Sometimes that doesn't even work and I have to reboot my computer.

I've tried disabling the service mentioned above.  Did not work for me.  I've also tried uninstalling the audio driver and installing the audio driver from a previous version like 12.2 or 12.3 and that did not work.  Also they forgot to update the registry key telling their own software that it has been updated to 12.4 so now their software still thinks it's 12.3 and will keep thinking it needs to update.

What a mess.

0 Likes
stoneroses
Journeyman III

All I did was uninstalled 12.4, Restarted PC, and reinstalled 12.3. It may not work for everyone.

0 Likes
dert
Adept I

Let me tell you, this is really frustrating.  They closed the ticket and told me to call their 800 number or send an email to tech support.....grrrrrrrr.  Forwarded the closed ticket email to their tech support email.  Eventually this will get fixed...if I have to drive to their building and knock on the door, it will get fixed.

0 Likes
jgone
Journeyman III

Totally frustrating until I found this forum!  A bit of a relief to know I am not the only one.   Like everybody I jumped on the prompt to update and then tried everything everybody here has tried when I kept loosing my audio when switching HDMI inputs on my TV between the HD cable box and my XPS HT PC.  The video card is the Radeon HD 6700 and the ONLY way I could fix it was to do a system restore prior to the update to 12.4.  AMD appears to be clueless about the issue, so maybe if enough of us rant here and keep contacting them they will get on it and fix the bug.

0 Likes
anonyboy
Journeyman III

I'm having this problem too on Windows 7 64 bit, HD 6950 graphic card.

another odd thing, when I update or even completely uninstall and reinstall to version 12.4, in the Control Center under Information it says Catalyst version 12.3.

Whenever my monitor turns off for an extended period of time, turning it back in resuilts in loss of audio, saying the HDMI audio isn't plugged in. I've been fixing this by putting my computer into sleep mode and then waking it back up whenever the problem occurs.

0 Likes

Same problem here : Windows 7 64 bit, HD 7970 graphic card

Also, if I unplug HDMI cable and plug it again, I'll get problems watching youtube videos; beside, sound issue. 

0 Likes

Same issue here. Just thought I'd chime in incase a solution pops up here. Mine is on my HTPC and I lose my sound when I shut off the tv. If I unplug and plug back in my HDMI the sound comes back. More annoying for my wife than me but annoying none the less.

0 Likes
rfjaquez
Journeyman III

After installing the driver update 12.4 in my HTPC I started having the same issues.

I though that turning off the TV was getting the HDMI audio disabled.

So, I connected to the HTPC with Remote Desktop.

I turned OFF the TV, and I could see that the HDMI audio was still enabled,

But, when I turned ON the TV, the HDMI audio got disabled.

I did a rollback of the HDMI audio driver to the previous version, but the problem stayed the same.

Then I did a rollback of the display driver to the previous version, and that fixed the issue.

The updated display driver is probably resetting the HDMI audio when it start receiving a HDMI signal.

Rolling back the display driver fixed my issue, thanks.

0 Likes
richpitchshift
Journeyman III

Same problem here using Windows 7 64bit and AMD Radeon HD 6850.

I had a similar sort of problem using a AMD driver around a year or so ago but it seems to have come back with a vengeance on the 12.4 update.

0 Likes
c1utch
Journeyman III

I too have this issue.  I get mad when I  sit and press on my tv remote by accident and it changes the channel...and then lose sound... 6800 series card here.

0 Likes

Same issue here. I tried to deal with it for as long as possible but I finally just rolled back to 12.3. One less annoying way to get the sound back is to log out and then back in. It's a lot more simple than unplugging the HDMI. Still, this bug is a huge oversight and looks like there is absolutely no customer service.

0 Likes
cue1boy
Journeyman III

For anyone that uses a dvb-s2 tuner you might have realised that the channel 4hd blockiness problem has been fixed with version 12.4,but as you all say they have ballocksed up the sound.I just hope when they do fetch out a new driver update they don't break the channel 4hd again.

0 Likes
gew
Journeyman III

Greetings, fellow travelers!

I hereby confirm that this issue remains. I'm having a simple (entry-level) ATI Radeon HD graphics card, and I noticed this lately. I had my computer to sleep (I'm eco-thinking and do that whenever I'm not on it), and after I woke it up, the HDMI showed video on my television, yet no audio. As I checked devices, it said that HDMI audio was not connected. Weird. This thing people suggest about pulling/reattaching the HDMI cable. Well, I suppose that works. However, I had another approach. I put the computer to sleep one more time, and then woke it straight back up. Now HDMI came up as connected. I had made sure my television was turned on by the time I woke up the computer. Not that it should matter, yet I did. Well, I'm now trying the approach with disabling the AMD External Events. Will get back to you with results.

And hey, AMD/ATI, get on this, will you?

0 Likes
haus
Journeyman III

Same issue here...

I found info on the 12.6 Beta, which claims to have fixed the problem:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst126beta.aspx

Haven't tried it yet!

Good luck,

Dan

This Beta Driver has fixed the problem as well as  uninstalling the 12.4 updated and installing an older patch/

0 Likes

THANK YOU COMEDYLINK!!!  Good catch man.  Confirmed, the beta version 12.6, does not have the HDMI audio issues.  Running Windows 7 64bit, i7 3.4GHz, with the Radeon HD 6700 series.

0 Likes

I just installed beta version 12.7 and the same issue exists where the HDMI audio is unplugged/disable when I switch ON/OFF my TV.

0 Likes
blazing98
Journeyman III

ok i have a different problem after installing 12.4 a very annoying thing. you see when i had 12.3 my graphics ingame where normal no stripes on screen or anything wierd. Now the problem poped-up in update 12.4 some games showing difficulty in graphics example c&c3 and diablo 3 before i installed 12.4 those two where running great no problems after it c&c3 has ingame graphic failures like the mape shows little black triangles allover diablo 3 has black stripes, spots that turn black or blue. Can someone tell me whats going on. i have

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series

chipname ATI display adapter (0x954F)

DAC-type: internal DAC (400MHz)

total memory: 1912 MB

resolution: 1024 x768 (32bit) (60 hz)

Processor: AMD athlon 7750 dual- core processor

RAM: 4.00 GB

type 32-bit

can somebody help me with this isseu

0 Likes
bigbarryq
Journeyman III

I have the same issue with a Foxconn SFF AMD E-350 GPU via HDMI. 12.4 broke audio function when monitor turns off.

Win 7 64-bit

8GB RAM

How could they not have tested this? It seems pervasive across products.

0 Likes

Same here, I have two 5450s and two PCs with 4290s on integrated to the mainboard/GPUs.  Every system I updated to 12.4, same issue with my 70in Sharp and my Vizio 47in and Vizio 32in, any monitor connected to HDMI seems to have the qurik.  If I override the EDIDE defaults and force a given monitor to initialize, this does reset the audio, but it is a PITA to do it every time.  I am also in IT architecture/engineering, and have worked as a developer off and on over the years, so I figured I would post this issue in the developer forum?  Nothing but silence, in fact, I was encouraged to not post this type of issue in the developer forum?  WTF?  Kind of ticks me off actually, this issue been well documented here and in the ASUS forums given the integrated 4290 GPU on AMD processor based systems.  It almost seems like ATI is ignoring the issue since we all have (older generation) video adapters.  Oh, and I run Windows 7 64bit as well.  Cheers

0 Likes