cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

raul1968
Adept I

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

This is like having a corvette and the only thing it can do is crash faster than before.  I love my 2x r9 280x's, I built my workstation around these cards. But I just opened a complex scene and it shut down very quickly and politely,

I've ordered a gtx card to put into the mix. I do not like how Nvidia has treated me i the past. But it's better than being slighted in the here and now. 

When Nvidia released gellato to everyone it was amazing. Than it was purchased and made into renderman and cost too much for the smaller houses.  This renderer drove many in the industry to purchase cuda cards to use in production.

Has someone tried making Mantle for blender? Has amd attempted to make use of the productive capability of the card rather than the end-user/gamer aspect? If so perhaps this is the avenue we should take rather than abandon this hardware.

Cycles is what we would like to use and it is why we all joined this discussion group. Is there a discussion group for Mantle and blender?  This issue has obviously cost many of us a great deal of time and in some cases business. 

Amd must know we are not just using these cards for a hobby.  How can we create great visuals for the xbone or ps4 and utilize the amd graphics without having produced them on amd platforms. Are we to slap an Nvidia logo on the visuals and say "made for amd" in the corner? 

Yes, Blender 2.72 crashed quickly with new drivers. Somehow I don't believe the people writing them even know this forum exists or they simply would have tested it before release.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

In my case too, as I have the money for the asus gtx 970.

Amd stayed with the party games and more intel that ta is not engaged in gross gpus are improving much more than amd.

So amd "the great disappointment"

0 Likes
mdriftmeyer
Adept II

cusa123 wrote:

You do not try to think that amd fix the problem.

You yourself mentioned, 3 years is already more than enough.

To make clear to all OpenCL 2.0 (will not be the solution).

Amd cpu now also having trouble with blender 2.72 kernel cycles.

Edit: New catalyst 14.9 / 14.9.1 not work with some features. Progress was recoils.

AMD isn't hand holding Blender to get their OpenCL stack current, Blender doesn't like OpenCL, never mind their out of sync with OpenCollada, OpenShading and more. Just read the back handed comments in their code commits. Sorry, but Blender not jumping on board and making OpenCL a first class citizen is only to the detriment of their goals of being an industry level solution.

LuxRender 2.0 looks like an obvious solution for Blender, until Cycles is OpenCL mature.LuxRender • View topic - LuxCore: materials/textures compilation in OpenCL code

AMD OpenCL C compiler

AMD OpenCL C compiler is well known to be often unable to even compile complex kernels. The new dynamic code generation doesn't solve all problems but rise the bar a lot. For instance, this is a scene that has never worked with HD5870:

Now it works and the kernel compilation requires only 6secs.

I'm still unable to render this scene on the HD7970:

Code: Select all
Error:E013:Insufficient Private Resources!

I may even hit some hardware limit here. Up to now, it is the only scene I'm unable to render with the new code.

New and old code path

The new dynamic code generation is now enabled by default. The old one is still available and can be re-enabled with the following properties:

Code: Select all
opencl.kernel.dynamiccodegeneration.textures.enable = 0
opencl.kernel.dynamiccodegeneration.materials.enable = 0

jeanphi wrote:Have you tried to compare native CPU code with the new dynamic OpenCL code on CPU?

PATHOCL on CPU device is still a 40% slower than native C++ (or about a 25% if I fine tune some parameter). However, I'm quite sure it is only a problem related to the grain of PATHOCL parallelism: it is too fine grained for CPUs.

As proof, BIASPATHOCL (where I can use tile sample-per-pixels parameter to control the parallelism grain) is consistently faster than BIASPATHCPU. This is the monkey scene with native C++:

OpenCL CPU is 11% than C++ in this scene  :D

It shouldn't be hard to add some control of parallelism grain to PATHOCL to achieve the same result.

=============================

This is progress and obviously the LuxRender team is focused on getting their renderer ready for release to be a drop-in for Blender, Maya, etc.

All I see from Blender is whining that their architecture works more inline with CUDA and not OpenCL.

Never mind the fact the likes of PIXAR and Disney Studios, Adobe, Sony, Apple and many more are all in with OpenCL, it must clearly be the sole issues of AMD that are holding back Blender from being an industry heavyweight.

Priorities of sending people to complain for the lack of OpenCL in Blender working, on par with CUDA must be what they must be.

0 Likes
boxerab
Challenger

@mrdriftmeyer I agree - tired of hearing all the moaning and groaning. Not all of the blame can be pinned on AMD.

.If it is such a big problem for some people, just fork over $400 for a 970, and use the Cycles CUDA back end, until AMD drivers mature.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Sorry I do not understand your answer. You say the problem is with Blender and developers ?.

What I do not understand is because amd does not generate a rendering engine base. LuxRender is terribly slow, any company right now is working OpenCL render amd gpu. It may be firepro but few reach one of those ?.

To be honest it is way too expensive, for semi-professional use. gtx 970 = $ 400 vs firepro 9100 = $ 3000.

You mention moments pixar Renderman but not using Gpu. OpenGL and OpenCL are different, the problem is if amd is faster in OpenCL calculation because the industry does not get something stable? but are not all based on cuda. Why will not it?

0 Likes
mdriftmeyer
Adept II

cusa123 wrote:

Sorry I do not understand your answer. You say the problem is with Blender and developers ?.

What I do not understand is because amd does not generate a rendering engine base. LuxRender is terribly slow, any company right now is working OpenCL render amd gpu. It may be firepro but few reach one of those ?.

To be honest it is way too expensive, for semi-professional use. gtx 970 = $ 400 vs firepro 9100 = $ 3000.

You mention moments pixar Renderman but not using Gpu. OpenGL and OpenCL are different, the problem is if amd is faster in OpenCL calculation because the industry does not get something stable? but are not all based on cuda. Why will not it?

Read this thread where AMD is going to re-architect Cycle's monolithic OpenCL kernel for Cycles:[Bf-cycles] OpenCL and AMD GPUs

Also not where the Blender devs point out that CUDA has been a real bear to keep Cycles from crashing it as well.

As I wrote more than once, the design of Cycles using a poor design is biting them in the rear.

0 Likes
boxerab
Challenger

@mdriftmeyer thank you for acting as one of the few voices of reason on this thread.  This is great news. And now all of this whining

can finally come to an end!!  However, I do wish AMD would raise the quality of their drivers: they should be able to compile large, complex kernels,

if they put more effort into it. And I do wish that they could open source part of their drivers - I am sure the community would step up to the

plate and improve things considerably.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

0 Likes
cactoos
Adept I

Hello.

A lot of time has been pass and no news, but now i just read this AMD prepara sus nuevos Catalyst Omega: Filtradas sus novedades y mejoras | MadBoxpc.com.

Can we still waiting whit any hope?

0 Likes
raul1968
Adept I

so has there been any news since Christmas? I did see the new Dirextx being releassed

0 Likes