cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

sharlybg
Adept II

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

Stop to try help this unfair company ! they can't understand what we are telling to them :

Now it's clear they are dead on CPU market and GPU market:

Maxwell kill them on all area:

2X power efficient

15% faster in gaming

more powerfull in gpu compute

work CUDA

GOOD at Opencl

They opencl 1.1 implementation is far far away from amd last opencl 2.0. plus they are cuda designer.

0 Likes
amartincolby
Adept I

Remember, incompetent or not, AMD is our only bulwark against Nvidia domination. Are they being annoying? Yes, but we need them to succeed.

And also, I've been building computers for twenty years. I will always have a fondness for the first CPUs that I overclocked. And anyone who remembers the unearthly overclocking prowess of the old Thunderbird CPU will likewise have a soft spot on their hearts for AMD.

0 Likes
boxerab
Challenger

@amartincolby totally agree!! And I am eagerly awaiting AMDs response to the 980/970. Rumor mill says 20 nm and 3D stacked memory.

Bring it!

jl-blend
Journeyman III

Compile time and ram usage are down with the latest OpenCL 2.0 drivers. Render time virtually the same. A10 5800k + R9 270 here.

Rendering on OpenCL CPU works as well, but on the APU's GPU it crashes while compiling the kernel, same for CPU+270+iGPU render.

On a Richland APU with Ubuntu 14.04 I tried Blender 2.69 and 2.71, it crashes compiling the kernel for the APU's GPU side.

0 Likes
thanzex
Journeyman III

Blender 2.72 RC doesn't work well with AMD, if the materials are basic the rendertime is the same as 2.69, with noticeable image quality improvements, but if the materials gets a bit more complicated the render freezes, along with Windows, and i had to manually reboot it, several times.

Everything seems to work fine, but in Afterburner i can see that as the render starts, the gpu clock is locked at the maximum, while the memory clock after a few seconds (when it arrives to a little bit complex material tile)goes down to 0. If i'm lucky and i can close blender, the next time i'll open it the viewport, even with just the cube (even moving the window), is dramatically slow. But if i'm not that lucky, it's just a matter of seconds before everything freezes except the mouse pointer, then again, a few seconds and everything is dead, and i have to manually reboot it.

With basic materials i mean ""Texture=>Diffuse=>Output"" If you use just a Mix Shader node, everything dies.

Nothing similar?

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

What matters is whether the compiled amd kernel, OpenCL 2.0 and see the improvements for Blender 2.73.

---------------------------------------

Lo Importante es si amd Compila el kernel, párr OpenCL 2.0 y ver las Mejoras párr licuadora 2.73

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

There is some idea of ​​OpenCL 2.0 for cycles, I'm finishing raise money.

I am interested that it can compile without problems but as soon as possible I would like to see 20 nm, but new reporting system for r9 3xx.

But if you walk before you leave me no other choice but to stay nvidia.

Blender ah not given any sign of OpenCL 2.0 cycles ?.

Also I see that hangs 14.9 catalyst but determianos factors or types of lighting in blender. Blender works fine hair.

Subsurface scattering of course does not work and clear volumetria either.

Last clarification, a little effort is what is missing.

For it to work OpenCL 2.0 amd recommend it to a graph with the new generation ra 6gb or 8gb. That would be the envy of Nvidia.

Not long a little more affection to blender cycles.

---------------------

Hay alguna idea de opencl 2.0 para cycles, estoy terminando de juntar dinero.

Me interesa que se pueda compilar sin problemas pero antes posible me gustaria ver los 20 nm , mas el nuevo sistema de memorias para r9 3xx.

Pero si no andan antes de que salga no me quedara otra opcion que nvidia.

Blender no ah dada alguna señal de opencl 2.0 cycles?.

Tambien veo que catalyst 14.9 se cuelga pero con determianos factores o tipos de iluminacion, en blender. Blender pelo funciona bien .

Subsurface scattering por supuesto que no funciona y claro volumetria tampoco.

Ultima aclaracion, es un poco de esfuerzo lo que le falta.

En el caso de que funcione opencl 2.0 recomendaria a amd una grafica ra la nueva generacion con 6gb o 8gb. Eso seria la envidia de Nvidia.

No falta mucho un poquito mas de cariño a blender cycles.

0 Likes
jl-blend
Journeyman III

The guys at blender's programmer IRC channel still say that AMD's OpenCL lacks the implementation of some functions. So I doubt the next version of Blender (2.73) will work better than 2.71.

I ran some benchmarks from a blender forum that runs fine on CUDA and with the default tile settings it stalled rendering on the second tile (4 in total) with AMD's OpenCL 2.0 experimental driver. I reduced the tile size to half and still it froze. At about a tenth the original tile size it finished the benchmark with over ONE HOUR of processing time and with some artifacts on a R9 270. A top of the line CUDA board will do it in less than 5 minutes.

On Mike Pan's bmw benchmark it takes 2minutes 23s while a comparable (by price) CUDA card will take around 1 minute. No visible artifacts in this bench.

Hopefully AMD and the Blender team are getting closer to finally ironing out the problems to have AMD's superior GPGPU power working flawlessly in blender cycles.

sharlybg
Adept II

3 years no news ! no good news ! they seriously don't care about any of us . I ready to build a personal GPU renderfarm only god know how much I will be gratefull if it's AMD based . I now that AMD is a great company but I Think they dn't care about semi or professionnal customers.

Today a simple gtx 780 beat the w9100 at vray with 40% faster rendering. the gtx is 3go and the firepro is 16go the gtx is 500 euros and the firepro is more than 3000 euros. they dn't give us any news to think that we will have a solution ASAP !

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

You do not try to think that amd fix the problem.

You yourself mentioned, 3 years is already more than enough.

To make clear to all OpenCL 2.0 (will not be the solution).

Amd cpu now also having trouble with blender 2.72 kernel cycles.

Edit: New catalyst 14.9 / 14.9.1 not work with some features. Progress was recoils.

0 Likes