cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cactoos
Adept I

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

well... i am just in a date to improve my graphic card, because i actually have an HD 5670, that is pretty old now.

I think about a R9 270x or maybe an R9 280 (Both are expensive cards in my country, but i take it like investment).

I know for playing are either really good, and in fact Sony vegas works well with OpenCL in my card. But if i buy a new one, i expect a complete pack, who works fine in all duties.

And in this moment, i need AMD works in blender what is supposed to do.I know it`s the same history here for years, but, hope is the last thing to lose.

0 Likes
Ziple
Adept I

If you want to use an OpenCL accelerated renderer, use LuxRender . This one works as far as I know. It has a package for blender.

0 Likes
sdar
Journeyman III

But take care, Luxrender devs are having problems with AMD compiler too and you can't use it with too much features enabled at the same time cause it'll fail to compile too.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Great gpu went volumes, another thing that nvidia podiendo do this again. Amd ever further OpenCL profitable for renders.

0 Likes
amartincolby
Adept I

The developers of Luxrender are doing a fantastic job of keeping people up to date on developments. Anyone who is interested can go read the entries on GPU acceleration in the Luxrender forums.

Luxrender is working a whole lot better than Cycles on AMD hardware but it's still encountering huge problems. The big Luxcore update that's been in the oven for the past eighteen months will help some of these issues, but if the developers are to be believed, they have tried every trick in the book and are unable to get their kernel working on Radeon or Firepro boards.

If there is a breakthrough to be had I believe that it will be with Luxrender since they have completely thrown their lot in with OpenCL. Cycles development is focusing almost entirely on CUDA right now. It's for that reason that I continue to work with Luxrender. When AMD OpenCL is ready to go, so am I.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Sorry, but in my opinion is more complicated LuxRender that cycles and generates more noise too. Generally speaking is slower than cyclos and lacks tremendous support and OpenCL boost in performance.

Honestly in my opinion this is not amd hoping to give a final solution, if you think taking Lumiscaphe p3d OpenCL for firepro is very wrong in the 3D field.

This will remain the same as always, the worst that is sure to go and continue the same for years we've been waiting for that magical compiled and these impossible heights.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Bob something new?

It would also be good to start watching Nox as it is open source now.

0 Likes
bsp2020
Elite

A new version of catalyst driver is released at AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite for AMD Radeon™ R9 285

I'm at work. So, I can't try it. But it seems to have newer version of OCL stuff. I'm just compared the files to 14.7 rc3 and noticed that OCL related files have newer versions.

Brian

0 Likes
bsp2020
Elite

AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite for AMD Radeon™ R9 285 is for specifically R9 285 only. However, I found modified driver that installs on my desktop Kaveri system at AMD Catalyst 14.x BETA (14.300.1005.0 August 27) - Guru3D.com Forums

It does have a different version of OpenCL runtime. However, I don't know how to test Blender.

0 Likes
cactoos
Adept I

Here is a video made for someone who explain how to activate OpenCL in an experimental mode by CMD.

And explain too, how to made a .bat file for easy start.

How to get Blender 2.69 to work with AMD graphics cards (enable OpenCL) part 1 - YouTube

It actually works, but Blender still crushing in my card.

0 Likes