cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Ziple
Adept I

Re: Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

I know that the AMD OpenCL compiler is not that good. But eh, I just wanted to tell you that LLVM is used by AMD. Nothing more.

Just let pray that they make some progress on their compiler.

0 Likes
bsp2020
Elite

AMD Catalyst 14.7 Beta Driver for Windows

There is a new version of driver out. Can some one try it and post whether has any improvements regarding Blender?

0 Likes
tolga9009
Adept II

Same OpenCL version, same speed, same limitations. The promised "mid July" release became "mid August" and didn't deliver anything. I just have enough, after 2 years of waiting. It's about time to switch back to Nvidia.

0 Likes
jawilba
Journeyman III

I last posted in this thread on

jaxom191
Journeyman III

Not happy about the lack of Info or progress myself, But I would wait till after the 25th of this month. after doing some research online I found AMD is working on updating to LLVM 3.5 for the compiler and if it was me I would not put an updated compiler out till that was finished myself. But that aside I would also post this info here as it is public knowledge if you look for it.  

0 Likes
bsp2020
Elite

AMD just released CLOC (HSAFoundation/CLOC · GitHub). Can any one here try compiling blender kernel with that? I'm wondering if that compiler is any better than the shipping compiler and eventually replace what is shipping in the current driver. Its description says "cloc: Convert an OpenCL file to brig, hsail, or .o (object) file using the LLVM to HSAIL backend compiler."

0 Likes
amartincolby
Adept I

I'm here to do little more than add my voice to the crowd. I very much prefer AMD to Nvidia and find the proprietary CUDA framework to be highly distasteful. My dislike of CUDA means that AMD would have to fail, like, hard core, for me to jump ship.

That said, I'm about ready to actually run two video cards in my system: one Nvidia and one AMD. I'm not threatening to leave AMD fohr evarz!1! or anything like that, but it would be a lost sale.

cactoos
Adept I

Hello.

I am new writing here, but i just read all this discusion.
First, i`m don`t really speak english, so if i mis a word, i hopo all you can forgiveme

_________

Can we expect any announcement tomorrow about Cycles, OpenCL, Blender and the AMD compiler? Or may we sit and wait another 30 year more?

0 Likes
amartincolby
Adept I

Nope. No news. That's not surprising since we know their schedule for these sorts of releases. Our next hope is mid-September.

I understand that OpenCL is still very much in its infancy, but I'm beginning to think that the issues we are encountering with AMD cards must have something to do with hardware as well as software. AMD's drivers aren't well-known for their quality (although they are getting better), but this problem is big and just keeps going. If it is indeed a hardware issue, and I will never expect my current AMD cards to effectively handle more complex OpenCL applications, I wish that AMD would tell me. Yes, I would be a bit angry, but at least I would know.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

In theory the catalyst sale August 25, waited since June or will have to wait until September ?.

Amartincolby, I think the same and long. The error is in the amd driver, but at this stage is thought to be in the hardware in my opinion. What is amd what eimpulsa per firepro is priceless for the average user.

0 Likes