Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

npm1
Adept II

Blender Cycles(Opencl on AMD GPUS)

Dear Opencl Developer

Why doesn't the AMD opencl compiler work with blender cycles?

whenever i compile the blender cycles kernel, the system either crashes due to lack of memory, or takes too long to compile the blender cycles kernel(which thereafter comes up with the following error:

opencl build failed:errors in console

calclcompile failederror: creating kernel_ocl_path_trace failed!

can't open file c:\tmp\5688.blend@ for writing:no file or directory

).

When is AMD opencl compiler going to work properly with blender cycles?

Why can't the AMD opencl compiler developers test their compiler against blender cycles?

Seasons Greetings,

npm1,

PS i am as well as others(i assume) are considering to make a switch from AMD GPUs to Nvidia.

371 Replies
sono
Journeyman III

I managed to enable OpenCL Tahiti using the user preferences.  On one of my scenes with just 10 samples the render took 51 seconds. where as the 3570k@4.4ghz took 1 min 37 secs.

But heres the thing. I had GPUZ running and saw that it was utilizing only 4 -5 % of the GPU. I could verify this by the GPU temps as well.. Nothing like when rendering in Fragmentarium. much much slower.. I know that it can goes at least 10 times faster. AMD did not cap the performance of its double precision floating point, unlike Nvidia, unless you buy the pro cards.

0 Likes

Sono good afternoon. If this seems to walk better but do walk with the core amd you need to log in windows as follows - run > cmd > cd C: \ Program Files \ Blender Foundation \ Blender  > set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST = all  > Start blender.exe

Apparently if you can use some features but time is somewhat slow amd hopefully chelates version of this better next time. I want the amd appear in blender without having to go this way for Blender 2.70 Blender it depends.

Note Remember that every time you leave you will have to run blender in cmd. Any luck consultation orders, hopefully the news gets out to more users and amd see that this is important.

Sono buenas tardes. Si al parecer esta andando mejor pero para poder hacer andar con el nucleo amd tienes que entrar en windows  de la siguiente manera - ejecutar > cmd> cd C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender > set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=all   >   Start blender.exe

Al parecer si podras usar algunas caracteristicas pero de momento es algo lento esperemos quela proxima version de amd este mejor. Yo quisiera que las amd parezcan en blender sin tener que entrar de esta manera para blender 2.70 esto depende de blender.

Note olvides que cada vez que salgas de blender tendras que ejecutar en cmd. Suerte  cualquer consulta a las ordenes, esperemos que se corra la noticia a mas usuarios y amd vea que esto es importante.

0 Likes

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm just click new and add CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST all

0 Likes

Nou apology but I should modify variable name and variable value?.

Nou disculpa pero que debo modificar en nombre de variable y valor de variable?.

0 Likes

don't edit PATH variable. just create new one with name CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST and value all. so you don't have start Blender through cmd.

0 Likes

This only works in cycles hd amd from 7000 onwards.

Nou thank you very much.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=287601&d=1391793621

0 Likes

You must try with the BMW from Mike Pan and you must get kepler comparable perf !

To enable opencl automatically put this files in your blender folder ! make link of this files and change the icon !

Note that windows version is suitable for good test !

CUSA123 please install windows somewhere with a good 14.1 driver install and all will be safe !

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

http://www.subeimagenes.com/img/amd-hair-837672.png

Within moments I have problems to run the amd hair, I lost kernel_type.h blender. All I remember was move the hairline to the other side Do not add anything. I think the only thing missing is amd repairs blender and OpenCL optimizations in this area. Now many users are already seeing that if amd fuciona plan to move to a rx 300 in the future.

_____

De momentos tengo problemas para poder ejecutar el pelo en amd, perdí el kernel_type.h de blender. Lo unico que recuerdo fue mover la linea de pelo para otro lado no agrege nada. Pienso que lo unico que falta es reparaciones en blender y amd optimizaciones para opencl en esta materia. Ahora muchos usuarios ya estan viendo que si amd fuciona tienen pensado pasarse a una rx 300 a futuro.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Ubuntu 13.10

This is my next problem. Like being installed this arrest is not happening?. It may lack some additional program or application? Apparently it could run but not like?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=287877&d=1391907210 

Now I found the possible problem missing library package, I run out imosible Luxmark and is asking for a libreias. Someone is kind enough to spend some pack of libraries?

Este es mi siguiente problema. Como estar instalado esta paro no se que esta pasando?. Puede que le falte algun programa o aplicacion extra?Al parecer se podria ejecutar pero no se como?

Ahora encontre el posible problema me faltan paquete de librerias, quiero ejecutar Luxmark y es imosible salen pidiendo libreias de a una. Alguien es tan amable de pasarme algun pack de librerias?

0 Likes

I finally get it work on My ubuntu 13.10 desktop ! I follow these steps :

1/ delete all fglrx driver properly with synaptic package manager

2/ "sudo apt-get update" in terminal

3/ download and unzip AMD beta driver in my home folder

4/ Right-click the .run file and choose "properties", then go to the "permissions" tab and check the box that says "Allow executing the file as program".

5/ Open a terminal and cd to your home folder (or where your .run file is located)

6/ "sudo ./amd-driver-installer-13.35.1005-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy". This will generate three .deb files that you can install.

7/ Move the generated .deb files to a new folder and cd to that folder in your terminal.

8/ "sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb" in terminal

9/ "sudo aticonfig --initial" in terminal

10/ reboot your computer

11/ for test with blender opencl cd to your blender install folder in terminal and tip :  "CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=all ./blender"

But I've Too much private ressources now !

However we've half of the speed of our GCN and always behind GTX 5XX series Card ! can we expect more coming soon ?

0 Likes

I thank you very much logradopero is also somewhat slow now that more work could polish the driver, but since it apparently works for fuer polish at least twice as fast. It would be great considering the OpenCL capabilities.

____

Muchas gracias lo he logradopero es algo lento igualmente ahora que funciona podrian pulir mas el controlador, ya que aparentemente funciona pero pulirlo para que fuer al menos el doble de rapida. Seria genial teniendo en cuenta las capacidades en opencl.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

currently GTX are too fast for us ! a User from blenderartist have posted some bench result with cuda ! a middle range CG gtx760 beat my Top CG hd7970 :

GTX TiTan ====>>  24 scs Cuda

760 GTX ======>> 47 scs Cuda

7970 HD ======>> 72 scs Opencl

0 Likes

So now it's time for CodeXL and profile the kernel?

0 Likes

Maybe if VincentSC, if someone or some developer is encouraged to use codexl be great to have the first rendering engine that is capable of using relatively stable OpenCL. Regarding LuxRender.

_________

Puede que si VincentSC, si alguien o algun desarrollador se anima a usar codexl sera genial tener el primer motor de render que sea capaz de usar opencl  relativamente estable. Con respecto a luxrender.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

You may compile the kernel for amd cycles this time unless you are interested. If it works cycles begin to see other engines as interested octane, arion, v-ray and others. Apparently the new catalyst 14.1 works well now apparently is somewhat slow, it should go at least 2 or 3 times faster in my opinion. Hopefully this time someone Amd start off right. Apparently now many "nvidia" criticize amd graphic, not the graphics if not for the drivers. Nor do we know if the graphics will support OpenCL 2.0 gcn moments but apparently this could change the problem much amd 3d.

expect much of an answer some moderator aware and informed of the topic.

Es posible que amd compile el kernel para cycles esta vez al menos  que este interesado. Si cycles funciona empezaremos a ver otros motores interesarse como octane, arion, v-ray y otros. Al parecer el nuevo catalyst 14.1 funciona aparentemente bien de momentos es algo lento, deberia ir al menos 2 o 3 veces mas rapido en mi opinion. Esperemos que alguien de Amd esta vez empecemos con buen pie. Al parecer ahora muchos de "nvidia" critican a las graficas de amd, no por la grafica si no por los controladores. Tampoco sabemos si las graficas gcn soportaran opencl 2.0 de momentos pero al parecer esto podria cambiar mucho el problema del 3d de amd.

espero mucho una respuesta de algun moderador conciente del tema e informado.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Well I tried indigo render with the new catalyst and walk better too. So if you can give some more information if we will change in the next version of catalyst.

Bueno he probado indigo render con el nuevo catalyst y anda mejor tambien. Asi que si es posible dar alguna informacion  si tendremos mas cambios en la proxima version de catalyst.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Well no reply from anyone?. I'm testing catalyst 14.2 beta 1.3 but segimos Same more or less than the previous version.

For when some improvement, we ask that you inform if anything. Is much appreciated. We also ask if any user with crossfire HD7000 or r7, r9. You can test if it is possible to walk this way blender. Expect an answer please.

Edit1

____Well apparently hair is possible in blender although I have some problems. But I leave an Image   http://www.subeimagenes.com/img/02-862158.png _______

kernel_compat_opencl

_______

#ifdef __KERNEL_OPENCL_AMD__

#define __CL__FLOAT3__

#endif

_______

kernel_types

#ifdef __KERNEL_OPENCL_AMD__

#define __SVM__

#define __EMISSION__

#define __IMAGE_TEXTURES__

#define __PROCEDURAL_TEXTURES__

#define __EXTRA_NODES__

#define __HOLDOUT__

#define __NORMAL_MAP__

//#define __BACKGROUND_MIS__

//#define __LAMP_MIS__

#define __AO__

//#define __ANISOTROPIC__

//#define __CAMERA_MOTION__

//#define __OBJECT_MOTION__

#define __HAIR__

#define __MULTI_CLOSURE__

//#define __TRANSPARENT_SHADOWS__

//#define __PASSES__

#endif

Also detects a problem with the driver amd that blocks the use of activator, that I realize with gputweak.

http://www.subeimagenes.com/img/001-862281.png

Bueno alguna respuesta de alguien?. Estoy probando catalyst 14.2 beta 1.3 pero segimos en la misma mas o menos que la version anterior.

Para cuando alguna mejora, pedimos que nos informen si hay algo. Se agradece mucho. Tambien pedimos si algun usuario con crossfire hd7000 o r7,r9 . Pueda probar si es posible hacer andar blender de esta manera. Espero alguna respuesta porfavor.

0 Likes

14.2 Beta 1.3 included a few bug fixes but did not change anything related to the Blender.  The team is continuing to work on further improvement in Blender (and related functions).

I'll relay any updates.

0 Likes

Hi everyone and AMD devs we are very Happy about all the improvement in the OCL compiler and blender cycles  ! just want to share my current experience with you and other behind this big step forward !

http://files.3dvrdesigner.webnode.fr/200000031-8c7a68d745/a1.jpg

0 Likes
swampf0etus
Journeyman III

A lot of the talk on this thread seems to be around updated catalyst drivers for windows (and Linux?).  However, I own a Macbook Pro with a Radeon HD 6750M.  Do these driver updates get pushed through to Apple to include in their OS X updates? Using the the 2.7 RC of Blender, I still can't use OpenCL with Cycle.  In 2.69 it wouldn't build with an "invalid compiler argument," however now it fails with something along the lines of "INVALID_DEVICE"  Can anyone tell me if my hardware is or will be supported?  Can anyone tell me how to get this up and running on my Mac?

0 Likes

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=288451&d=1392126525

For now if it works partially windows and linux. You should try enabling OpenCL in ma have no idea but apparently amd tessellation using OpenCL is failing a lot (see picture) so me going on with other projects.

Apparently something hopefully amd are working for this version of blender 2.70. Especially catalyst 14.3 and expect a little more attention in the field of OpenCL.

It is noteworthy that the picture is somewhat interesting because it is the same problem when wanting to use natively hair in blender. So when float3 clear this problem is at the same time injection can lead to other serious mistakes so if you can see this will be great.

De momento si funciona parcialmente en linux y en windows. Tendrías que probar habilitando opencl en ma no tengo idea pero al parecer, la teselación de amd mediante opencl esta fallando mucho (ve la imagen) asi me esta pasando con otros proyectos.

Al parecer amd estan trabajando esperemos algo para esta version de blender 2.70. Y Especialmente catalyst 14.3 espero un poco mas de atencion en este campo de opencl.

Cabe mencionar que la imagen es algo interesante, porque es el mismo problema al querer usar pelo nativamente en blender. Asi que cuando desactive FLOAT3 este problema se va pero al mismo tiempo puede ocacionar serios errores en otros asi que si pueden ver esto sera genial.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

Oh god we hope that the next R9 295X2 will be 2X 8 or 6 GDDR5 ! this will be a nice beast a true supercomputer ! for Computing 3D rendering gaming !!!!!

0 Likes

Sharlybg repair amd hopefully something about cycles. 1 - when is the next catalyst. 2 - You have no idea when it comes out LuxRender 2.0?

___

Sharlybg esperemos que amd repare algo acerca de cycles. 1- cuando sale el próximo catalyst.  2- tienes idea de cuando sale luxrender 2.0?

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

14.3 v1 get out and there'is no improvement for blender cycles ! this is very hard to understand ! why not resolve the wrong once for ever !

Nvidia step forward with the new MAxwell GPU arch but with 28nm again but look at the bench :

GTX 750 Ti =====>> 55 scs ======>> 60 watts

HD  7970    =====>> 65 scs ======>> 225 watts

0 Likes

windows or linux? because linux is still old 13.25 branch.

0 Likes
swampf0etus
Journeyman III

Looks like Apple have gave a gift to the OpenCL devs at Blender to get OpenCL working with AMD GPUs:  Twitter / tonroosendaal: Apple sent a gift to Blender ...

I really hope this gives this issue a boost!

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

From time to continue using LuxRender, even if some sad problemas.Es that amd apple and you got nothing collaborative people LuxRender. The only thing that worries me about this render engine is 2 things 1 The noise and fireflies and 2 having problems with the real-time problems with a material editor.

But finally this thread goes in cycles but since I start over there in 2012, no news moments by amd only interested users.

I also read something amd asked people OTOY "octane render" some collaboration be?

What's going on here?

______

De momentos a seguir usando luxrender, aunque tenga algunos problemas.Es triste que apple y amd no le dieran nada de colaboración a  la gente de luxrender. Lo unico que me preocupa de este motor de render son 2 cosas 1 el ruido y las luciérnagas y 2 que tiene problemas con el tiempo real y problemas con un editor de materiales .

Pero al fin este hilo va en cycles pero desde que arranco  por alla en el 2012, de momentos no tenemos noticias por parte de amd solo los usuarios interesados.

Tambien lei algo que amd pidio a la gente de Otoy "octane render" algo de colaboracion puede ser?

Que esta pasando aca?

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

The blender cycles OpenCL 2.7 gives errors:

OpenCL error <-61>: Invalid buffer size

OpenCL error <-38>: Invalid memory object

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Unfortunately would have to spend again to the dark side in this case nvidia. If not for this month will be for next go shopping for a nvidia 780ti.

______

Lamentablemente tendria que pasarme al lado oscuro otra vez en este caso nvidia. Si no es para este mes sera para el proximo ir de compras por una nvidia 780ti

0 Likes
swampf0etus
Journeyman III

New update (March 2014) to the Blender Cycles OpenCL page:  OpenCL - BlenderWiki

Ton Roosendaal is asking everyone to talk about getting OpenCL working in Cycles:  Twitter / tonroosendaal: OpenCL and AMD users: make ...

0 Likes

Unfortunately this does not help much, if amd can not walk cycles. The most reasonable explanation is that amd graphs tend to have much vram.

This works a lot in very large scenes, moments of'll wait for new nvidia maxwell architecture deciding. If amd can go in cycles gpu would not hesitate to buy some r9 290x 8GB. It is a dream for 3d graphics that could walk that many people expect but doubt whether amd is able to compile the kernel.

Apparently some features OpenCL kernel blender generate internal conflicts between them.

We hope the donation of the new apple mac pro 2013 could help the project also in OpenCL firepro sector.

So good luck!

///////

It would now take tremendous strategy OpenCL kernel cycles before it goes Maxwell. But one would raise it, more economical as it is in place, OpenCL greater performance, more vram than your competitor, not only that if mantle also in games. Support for graphic design programs like adobe, this gentlemen only won almost all cycles Kernel is missing. Besides that cycles can other companies see the code to start and build new ones.

_______

Desgraciadamente esto no ayuda mucho, si amd no puede hacer andar cycles. La explicacion mas razonable es que las graficas de amd tienden a tener mucha vram.

Esto funciona muchisimo en escenas muy grandes, de momentos esperare a la nueva arquitectura maxwell de nvidia para decidir. Si amd puede hacer andar cycles en gpu no dudaria en comprar alguna r9 290x de 8gb. Es un sueño para el 3d esa grafica que pudiera andar mucha gente espera pero dudan sobre si amd es capaz de poder compilar el kernel.

Al parecer blender kernel opencl algunas caracteristicas generan conflictos internos  entre si.

Esperamos que la donacion de apple de la nueva mac pro 2013 pudiera ayudar al proyecto de opencl tambien en el sector firepro.

Asi que mucha suerte!!

//////

Seria tremenda estrategia sacar ahora kernel opencl cycles antes que salga maxwell. Mas de uno se lo plantearia, mas economicas ya que se encuentra en plaza, mayor rendimiento opencl, mas vram que tu competidor, no solo eso si no tambien mantle en juegos. Apoyo en programas graficos como adobe en diseño, señores esta casi todo ganado solo un Kernel cycles es lo que falta. Ademas de que cycles pueden otras empresas ver el codigo y basarse para comenzar otros nuevos.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

IT's in stituation like this one we see how much Nvidia a serious company ! They create CUDA and support OPencl ! AMD have only opencl to work with but is always behind it's rivals. what a shame for US. we beg you since so many years and what else ?................

0 Likes
VincentSC
Adept II

It isn't only Cycles, but there are plenty more OpenCL-related bugs that just don't get solved. I hear it all around me: people wanting to support AMD, but feeling blocked by AMD itself due to (old)  bugs and regression. How can I sell OpenCL-based services and products, if I cannot trust the drivers? Answer: I can't. That's why you loose money, and I loose money.

Dear AMD OpenCL driver team, please take ownership of the problem - a lot more than you already do. You don't have to worry about AMD's image, as it has already been harmed. Start at least with public bug-status feedback like NumPyPy Status - this gives us the idea you are actually working on it and have the development under control.

0 Likes

Vincentsc the problem is that they say nothing, knowing the number of times that the new catalyst out, see if there is any improvement.

Beg for the state of OpenCL in amd, is on the verge of decline jurisdiction OpenCL. If it's so near we see the first non-recoverable error in software and hardware amd can not offer. OpenCL should leave and concentrate on some other project that can run this would be an expense of investment in technology that amd not able to make today.

_________

Vincentsc el problema es que no dicen nada, saber las cantidad de veces que al salir catalyst nuevo, vemos si hay alguna mejora.

Rogar por el estado de opencl en amd, esta al borde de declararse incompetente con opencl. Si es asi estamos cerca de ver el primer error no solucionable en materia de software y hardware que amd no pueda brindar. Debera abandonar opencl y concentrarse en algun otro proyecto que pueda funcionar esto seria un gasto en inversion de tecnologia que amd no esta en condiciones de poner hoy en dia.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Amd can confirm for the next catalyst function blender cycles.

Twitter / amd_roy: @barkerd25017 @OpenCL @AMDRadeon ...

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Big question firepro driver is compiled just as catalyst?.

From now all we know is that in beta firepro new OpenCL drivers will come to blender cycles.

What we ask is if will come equally in catalyts 14.4 drivers.

0 Likes
sharlybg
Adept II

IF AMD conttinue to treat GPU rendering like that they will be out from game industry one day ! currently there is heavy dev done to make path tracing for gaming a reallity like rasterization ! the otoy BRIGADE 3.0 software use NVIDIA GPU to render heavy 3D scene in near real time display ! Opencl for GPU rendering isn't only a matter of blender cycles there many concerned layers :

professionnal 3D package:

octane

theia rt

cycles

arion

furry ball

Vray

Brigade

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

VincentSC have some information without being that firepro OpenCL works in blender.

Unfortunately Sharlybg other render engines also have nothing, and armed to give us a final render engine or at least partially.

At least have an idea if 14.4 catalyst would bring some change.

0 Likes
cusa123
Adept I

Does not work for firepro same kernel as for radeon.

If I get the same error as before "the blender program closes." Blender 2.70. even a cube is damaged, it is impossible.

Dies all hope, "Amd pirate islands" for blender.

0 Likes

It is good to note that AMD is improving.

But we are not close to some magic moment that AMD implements X in the driver of fixed bug Y and then all of a sudden cycles works great and beats your same generation Nvidia hardware.  Both the driver and the OpenCL compile / runtime and blender need to improve for us to get there.

Nvidia's toolchain and developer support are superior currently from the point of view of someone wanting to run as very very large single kernel on a GPU. While it is possible to split cycles up and make the architecture closed to what Nvidia themselves are doing with Optix that is not a small task you can do in a week.  And when this happens this will most likely benefit other hardware as much as it would for AMD's hardware.

I am still of the opinion that it can and will work and perform in the near future. I personally would like to end this situation where if people ask me what hardware to get for their cycles related task i first answer Nvidia and only then ask them for details. That is not good for blender. for AMD or anyone else in the long run.

0 Likes