cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

roman380
Adept I

Availability of AMD H.264 Encoder MFT

I am looking for information on hardware H.264 encoder availability in the form of MF Transform (MFT). It is mentioned as one of recommended ways to utilize hardware video encoding capabilities. It is also mentioned that it comes with Catalyst drivers.

This sounds good and I do see the mentioned on some systems, e.g. MFT information like this obtained using MFT enumeration:

AMDh264Encoder #2

MF_SA_D3D11_AWARE: 1 (Type VT_UI4)

MFT_ENUM_HARDWARE_URL_Attribute: AMDh264Encoder (Type VT_LPWSTR)

MFT_ENUM_HARDWARE_VENDOR_ID_Attribute: VEN_1002 (Type VT_LPWSTR)

MFT_INPUT_TYPES_Attributes:

MFMediaType_Video MFVideoFormat_NV12

MFMediaType_Video MFVideoFormat_ARGB32

MFT_SUPPORT_DYNAMIC_FORMAT_CHANGE: 1 (Type VT_UI4)

MFT_TRANSFORM_CLSID_Attribute: {ADC9BC80-0F41-46C6-AB75-D693D793597D} (Type VT_CLSID)

MFT_CODEC_MERIT_Attribute: 8 (Type VT_UI4)

MFT_OUTPUT_TYPES_Attributes:

MFMediaType_Video MFVideoFormat_H264

MFMediaType_Video {5D0CE9DD-9817-49DA-BDFD-F5F5B98F18A6}

MF_TRANSFORM_FLAGS_Attribute: MFT_ENUM_FLAG_HARDWARE

MF_TRANSFORM_ASYNC_UNLOCK: 0 (Type VT_UI4)

MF_SA_D3D_AWARE: 1 (Type VT_UI4)

{F34B9093-05E0-4B16-993D-3E2A2CDE6AD3}: 4222988014519280 (Type VT_UI8)

MF_TRANSFORM_ASYNC: 1 (Type VT_UI4)

This is exactly what it should look like. However in other systems I do not see it at all, e.g. fresh Windows 10 install with AMD Radeon R7 200 Series card shows no MFT.

Is there any information on availability of the MFT:

• Does it indeed come with standard drivers, or needs additionally installed files? Any specific options to enable (esp. disabled by default) in Catalyst settings?
  • Windows OS Availability for the MFT: Windows 10? 8.1? 8? 7?
  • Any specific product series where the MFT is available?
0 Likes
1 Reply
roman380
Adept I

Update 1: Introducing the Video Coding Engine (VCE) article has a table "detailed description of the AMD products and the VCE version they are powered with" listing specific products. Would it be correct to assume that MFT is limited to these models only (either along with stock drivers, or as an additional install/redistributable, possibly depending on OS)?

Update 2: To quickly find out if H.264 encoder is available in form factor of MFT, one can use this app which enumerates hardware and transforms and produces a report. There will be "AMDh264Encoder" in the list if the MFT is available. The list also includes other (similar) encoders:

Clipbrd5.png

Update 3: Information that confirms availability of the MFT for specific products (goes in line with the link in Update 1 above):

0 Likes