Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

thehan
Journeyman III

ATI Radeon HD 5870 + D3D11 = false?

Hi,

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 card and am trying to run d3d11 (feb 2010 sdk) on it, but it seems to revert to direct3d as a 10.1 feature set only (in the samples as well, not only my code). I was truly disappointed at first since the only reason I bought the card was to develop d3d11-stuff with a non-reference driver. But then I started to search around the web and everywhere it says the 5870 should support dx11. But why doesn't it? Is it the driver that is not fully functional yet? I just installed the latest catalyst 10.2 (including drivers).

/T

0 Likes
7 Replies
hypercube
Journeyman III

Hello,

which operating system are you using? DX 11 only works on Windows 7 and Vista, and on Vista you need to install SP 2 and a specific update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644). Also try http://unigine.com/download/, a demo using DX 11.

0 Likes

Windows 7 64bit

0 Likes

And I can run d3d11, but only with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1. I would like to run it with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0 so that I could actually use the d3d11 features but it doesn't work. Should it?

0 Likes

I use OpenGL myself and can't program with DirectX, but the unigine engine (you can download a benchmark from the link I posted above) uses the DX 11 tessellator, so it seems to be possible.

0 Likes

It is just very hard to know weither or not unigine uses the tesselator or not. When I start the benchmark, I choose DirectX11 and tesselation enabled, but when it runs it looks nothing like the screenshots. In particular the dragon should be much higher detail if tessellation was truly running, and it didn't.

0 Likes

If tessellation is activated, its extremly easy to see. Try activating wireframe using F2 and try F3 to activate/deactivate tesselation. If there isn't a great difference, there seems to be something wrong. I own a HD 5770 and just tried it.

0 Likes

There appeared to have been something wrong with my driver. I thought I had the latest one installed but it turned out that it was somehow interfering with a default driver. Some uninstalling/reinstalling fixed it and I can now fully enjoy dx11.

0 Likes