cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

ATI OpenCL as a Windows service

I'm trying to make a network-distributed app that uses your OpenCL SDK. The question is... can I use OpenCL's calls from a Windows Service without a GUI attached?

thx.

0 Likes
6 Replies
nou
Exemplar

no. servce don't have acces to GUI only to some virtual GDI. nvidia have special non-graphic driver which expose GPU as computing device and not graphic device.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou no. servce don't have acces to GUI only to some virtual GDI. nvidia have special non-graphic driver which expose GPU as computing device and not graphic device.

And ATI? And... linux?

We need this for a network farm. The server guys demand to press a button to start the nodes which will fire all the services without having to log in. To make a GUI app is not an option for them.

I hope almost FirePro could support that as NVIDIA's Tesla does. How can we make a Blue Gene GPGPU farm then?

0 Likes

ATI need GUI. even on Linux you need start Xserver.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou ATI need GUI. even on Linux you need start Xserver.

Well then that's a big problem for the HPC cluster world.

Any ATI's person can tell me when is this basic functionality expected, pls? Cluster nodes simply cannot launch GUI-apps because it will be a nightmare to control and maintain. The app must be a non GUI service immediatly running after the server guys press the "power on" button. That's unnegotiable.

0 Likes

just a thouth. make service which will start normal process with access to GUI.

BTW that limitation because of WDDM in Windows Vista/7.

0 Likes
ljbade
Journeyman III

Hence why basically everyone who is serious about GPGPU servers use linux... X server is very lightweight...

0 Likes