Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Vilem_Otte
Adept I

Ati downgraded OpenGL support?

Hello,

I installed Kubuntu few months ago (64-bit version), proprietary driver - all went okay and it supported OpenGL 4.0 (FYI PC where this happened is K52JE notebook).

Few days ago I updated and upgraded system and my eyes were deadly looking at OpenGL 3.2.9756 ... It would be okay (even though I work as graphics developer - and they want HW Tessellation out of me), but I cannot get any extension working - be it through glew or glXGetProcAddress ... I haven't tried SDL, but that is not a way for me to consider.

I hope that someone met similar problem and solved it (hope I will not be reinstalling my notebook again - because it is just that lot in a hurry and I can't afford time to reinstallation).

My colleague suggested to buy NVidia-based notebook, but that is not a way of course, beacuse:
a) I have to develop for both AMD and NVidia
b) I just like AMD a lot more than NVidia

So could somebody please point me to right direction, it might aswell be my fault as driver's fault of course, anyone?

0 Likes
2 Replies
nou
Exemplar

try download latest driver from AMD site. i recomend creating deb packages.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Maverick_Installation_Guide#Create_.deb_packages.

0 Likes

Okay, thanks for the tip - did it and extensions are working ... but! It is still showing just OpenGL 3.2 and not OpenGL 4.0, and that is indeed strange ... although I'm able to work on it, and thats important.

I think I'll wait for next update (and maybe I'll also reinstall, as the OS is getting a bit messy)

0 Likes