cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

chiwalfrm
Adept I

AMDGPU-PRO plus victzhang's Experimental OpenCL driver for Ubuntu 16.04

Because I am not a developer, I can't post in victzhang's thread ( Experimental OpenCL driver for Ubuntu 16.04  ) and ask this question, so I am asking it here.

My question is: Is it possible to use both the AMDGPU-PRO driver and victzhang's Experimental driver?  The reason is I have both an RX480 (which works fine with AMDGPU-PRO) and a R9-270 which is not supported by the AMDGPU-PRO yet.

When I try to install the experimental driver (this is with AMDGPU-PRO already installed), I get an error about overwrite.

$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx-core_15.302-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

[sudo] password for chiwalfrm:

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-core.

(Reading database ... 274585 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack fglrx-core_15.302-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...

Unpacking fglrx-core (2:15.302-0ubuntu1) ...

dpkg: error processing archive fglrx-core_15.302-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):

trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/clinfo', which is also in package amdgpu-pro-clinfo 16.30.3-306809

dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

fglrx-core_15.302-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

2 Replies
victzhang
Adept I

You can uninstall amdgpu-pro-clinfo (if possible). The conflicting file is clinfo utility, which is not the core of the driver.

You can try to block RX 480 in the fglrx driver (as described in my thread) and let AMDGPU-PRO claim it. I am not quite sure if it works because I don't have the hardware to test it, but it is definitely worth trying.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Just to inform you Alex. You've been whitelisted, so, now onwards you'll be able to post anywhere in DevGurus.

Regards,

0 Likes