Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

savage309
Adept I

AMD OpenCL full driver compilation options

Hey,

Is there a place with all AMD OpenCL compilation flags ?

I am searching for stuff like max-register-usage, fast-math, enable-compilation-time-expensive-optimizations, dont-be-ieee-compatible, -05, all-global-pointers-are-restrict ...

If not driver options, is there a way to do something like those stuff that I mentioned above ?

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
maxdz8
Elite

As far as I can recall max-register-usage has been in the works for quite a while. It doesn't exist yet.

I'm not sure what the others do but there are some ieee unsafe optimizations in CL specs (such as -cl-unsafe-math-optimizations) I assume that's still not enough for you.

Others are interesting. I would be more interested in providing the compiler some profiler-derived hints such as "this kernel has been observed to be bigger than ISA size" / "to overspill" etc.

I've missed the standart OCL flags like -cl-unsafe-math-optimizations, so thank you for that. They are part of the stuff I needed.

I am glad max-reg-count is comming at some point, it will help a lot too.

"all-global-pointers-are-restrict" should tell the compiler to presume that there is no pointer aliasing between pointers from the global memory (this should enable some more optimizations too).

Thanks.

0 Likes

There was the option -cl-strict-aliasing back in the  OpenCL 1.0 days. But I don't know if it is still avalaible, or just assumed by default now.

0 Likes

Let assume that I have only 1 thread. If aliasing is assumed by default, this won't work if a and val points to the same memory location ...

void add(int* ptrA, int* ptrB, int* val) {

*ptrA += *val;

*ptrB += *val;

}

-cl-strict-aliasing seems to compile, but I still have to test if it works properly.

0 Likes