cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

shady19406
Adept I

AMD firepro w8100 V 5900 OpenCL 2.0 driver

After installing my new Firepro w8100 and V5900, I went to AMD website to auto detect the best driver for both of my cards, and it gave me the 14.502.1019.0 driver to install which said it has OpenCl runtime. After installing the driver, when I try to render on my GPU cards using Vray RT 3.0 which has an OpenCL render option switch, see (capture 1),   the Vray screen detects the OpenCl hardware which is my w8100 with the Hawaii chip and my V5900 with the Cayman chip  and my CPU Fx8350. Rendering on my GPU cards keeps failing compiling OpenCl Kernels, and keeps falling back on my cpu only see (capture 2) Vray Screen log. I don't have the SDK APP 3.0 intalled yet cause am afraid to install it since I have no programing knowledge and don't know what is it supposed to do. please anyone can give me some direction of what needs to be done in order to utilize both GPU cards in rendering on Vray RT. Thank you.Capture 1.jpgCapture 2.jpg

0 Likes
6 Replies
nou
Exemplar

Installing APP SDK will not help solve this problem. You can try download GPU caps GPU Caps Viewer 1.23.0 Released | Geeks3D which have some OpenCL demo. If it works then your driver is installed properly. You should ask for support from ChaosGroup which created VRay.

Hello,Thanks for the tip and I apprciate your help. I downloaded the GPU caps viewer 1.23.0 and ran a test. I think maybe i have a conflict with both GPUs installed. Cause my old Firepro V5900 has openCL 1.2  Cayman computing and the new W8100 has OpenCL 2.0 Hawaii computing capabilty. The caps viewer list the Cayman OpenCL 1.2 only when running GPU OpenCL stress demos and never shows the Hawaii compute units even after I select the Hawaii GPU te be tested as shown in the captures.

So do you think I need to uninstall the old V5900 Cayman and see if it will work for the W8100 by it self?

Do you think I need to change drivers? If yes what driver do you think that might work?V5900 GPU load photoshoped.jpgw8100 GPU load photoshoped.jpg

0 Likes

Check out the OpenCL tab. There is should be showing both GPU and their properties.

I don't want to interfere. However, there is another FirePro specific community FirePro Development where you may like to check this issue. If you ask, I can move your query there.

Regards,

I finally got it to work after disabling the V5900 with the Cayman computing GPU. There was a conflict having two GPUs running at the same time. Now rendering with OpenCL works and it is fast with the Firepro W8100 Hawaii alone. But there is a new problem with the shading and I have no idea why its coming out like this. Thanks for your help.batman.jpg

0 Likes

Hi Shady,

Thanks. I'm moving this query/thread to the Firepro forum, where you should receive helpful responses.

--Prasad

0 Likes