cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kkennedy86
Adept I

AMD APP SDK 2.8.1 Samples Cause Visual Studio 2012 Errors

I've been trying to resolve an issue wherein my Visual Studio 2012 launch fails with an "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" message on the splash screen. I've isolated it to the install of the SDK Samples, which go into my administrator account's "My Documents" folder.

My setup is Windows 7, 64-bit. I have an administrative account (which launches without a problem) and my user account (which has more limited permissions, and fails to launch Visual Studio).

I've come up with some workarounds (msiexec /a on the extracted folder from the installer gives me the files for example, but not the installed configuration).

Should these examples (for Windows 7) be put into the C:\ProgramData folder so they can be shared among multiple users? This reduces your reliance on permissions, access, etc.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and fixed it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
kkennedy86
Adept I

Okay, I found the issue.  It was not technically AMD's fault, but due to my system configuration, the installation of the SDK unveiled it. 

The problem was that my %PATH% was greater than 2047 characters after the SDK was installed. Apparently Visual Studio 2012 cannot handle this. By using Junction.exe, and cleaning up some unused locations, I was able to get my path to less than 2047 characters and Visual Studio 2012 works fine. 

Himanshu, thank you for the help you provided. I do appreciate the fact that the new installer will allow you to put the SDK in different location. I do notice that there's 4 new entries on the %PATH%, but that's not too bad.  My Intel Fortran compiler path entries make me a little gaggy at times.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

I guess that is a standard procedure, that all SDKs follow, although I am not aware of exact reason behind it.

0 Likes

I strongly encourage everyone to put there suggestions for installer here.  All relevant suggestions will be incorporated in the installers in upcoming SDKs. Special thanks to kkennedy86 for the suggestion. Let me start a new thread for suggestion to the installer team.

0 Likes
kkennedy86
Adept I

Himanshu,

Sorry for the lack of follow-up. Things have been relatively crazy at work.  I've downloaded and installed the new Unified SDK Installer. Prior to the install, my Visual Studio 2012, update 4, was working perfectly fine. After the install, running as my non-administrative user, I get the same "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."  As the administrator, it works fine. 

My configuration is an Intel i7 2820QM CPU, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO 3000M GPU, and Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. I have the NVIDIA GPU SDK, NVIDIA NSIGHT, and Intel OpenCL SDK installed. I have no AMD graphics/drivers for this.

Also, the examples seem to work perfectly fine for OpenCL and C++AMP; had some issues with Bolt.

Are there any paths that need to be set? Any ideas? 

0 Likes
kkennedy86
Adept I

Okay, I found the issue.  It was not technically AMD's fault, but due to my system configuration, the installation of the SDK unveiled it. 

The problem was that my %PATH% was greater than 2047 characters after the SDK was installed. Apparently Visual Studio 2012 cannot handle this. By using Junction.exe, and cleaning up some unused locations, I was able to get my path to less than 2047 characters and Visual Studio 2012 works fine. 

Himanshu, thank you for the help you provided. I do appreciate the fact that the new installer will allow you to put the SDK in different location. I do notice that there's 4 new entries on the %PATH%, but that's not too bad.  My Intel Fortran compiler path entries make me a little gaggy at times.

0 Likes

Thanks for your input.

Recently AMD APP SDK 2.9 has been released and it is made to install in the different location as you mentioned.

I am happy if you use this and work around let us know your feedback.