cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

galmok
Journeyman III

AMD APP Profiler problem

I have created my own C++ program from scratch, including OpenCL.lib and such, but I can't use the AMD APP Profiler to profile my application. Everytime I try, I get this error:

AMD APP Profile

Unable to gather profile data. This error can occur for one of several reasons:

- The active project is not an OpenCL program.

- The active project does not compile or run properly (try running it manually).

- You do not have write access to the active project's directory.

Now, I am sure this is an OpenCL program (kernel runs fine). And therefore, it compiled fine and even runs fine. And I have full access to the directory. As the error pops up right away, maybe the profiler copies the exe file somewhere and doesn't know it should copy the kernel files as well. Where does it copy the exe file and can I specify it to copy the kernel file as well? Or is the issue something different?

Is there a log file or anything I can use to debug this issue or is there a checklist more complete than the error box presented? It is very annoying not being able to run the profiler from MSVC10. I can run the profile from the command line and import the data, but honestly, this is getting old. 😛

0 Likes
15 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

okay galmok,

First are you able to profile the samples? This should confirm there is nothing wrong with Profiler.

If profiler is installed properly it should be able to profile anything which can be properly built.

Please mention your system details: CPU,GPU,SDK,Driver,OS.

0 Likes

I have no problems profiling the samples. That works just fine.

System is:

Core i7 920

ATI 5870 1GB

SDK v2.4

Catalyst 11.5

Vista 64

0 Likes

galmok,
I've seen something similiar to this on windows before on my dev machine. Although it was a long time ago, I believe my workaround was to disable the UAC for that drive.
0 Likes

Sorry, but UAC has been disabled since Vista got installed. 😕 The issue must be something else.

0 Likes
xksv
Journeyman III

I'm not speak English good. Please correct me if I make mistake.

Some weeks ago I have same problem too. The decision is to correct OUTPUT option in Linker Settings to default value, i.e. output filename is to be same as project name. And, of course, the path of specified output and path of your project can't contain a chars (symbols) other than in English alphabet.

0 Likes

My Output Filename is already set to: $(OutDir)$(ProjectName).exe 😕 But thanks for trying to help..
0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

is Kernel file with exe? Please add post build event to copy kernel file where exe is created and try.
0 Likes

It is not, but that hasn't been a problem for MSVC10 to run and debug the application. It finds the kernel just fine.

However, I tried adding a getchar() just before loading the kernel, to wait for a keypress before loading the kernel file, and it never gets there. I tried moving the getchar to the very first line in main() and still there is no waiting for the keypress. It looks to me as if the exe file isn't even started.

0 Likes

Please send your visual studio project file to gputools.support@amd.com.

0 Likes

I will, but one problem you MAY face is that my project need Intel MKL (Math Kernel Library), but that can fairly easily be changed to any compatible library (standard BLAS/LAPACK functions used, open-source will work fine, just slower).

0 Likes

Thanks for the bug report.  We confirmed that there is a problem in the profiler parsing the environment variable field from the project file.  This problem has been fixed internally.  Meanwhile, you can workaround this issue by removing the environment variable setting in your project file and using a system wide environment variable.

0 Likes

Thank you for confirming this issue and having it fixed. I hope you can use the emailed project to help debug the crash/freeze issues.

0 Likes

maybe, you can download the newest driver and install it.

I also met this issue before, I solved it by updated driver.

0 Likes

There is a newer driver than 11.5?

0 Likes

MAy be you can try 11.5a hotfix:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

0 Likes