cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

avk
Adept III

AMD and Intel incompatible - What to do?

agner: You've said: "from the software industry". I think that it would be a charcoal, which will ignite the petition's bonfire. And you could be the match .

When I've told about an online petition, I've meant www.petitiononline.com, most famous site of that kind. Would you try to start this petiton? I think that first your message at this topic is perfect as the base.

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

Thanks for the reference to www.petitiononline.com

The issue is very technical. Only people who understand it would sign it. People who don't understand would just say that competition is good, because that's what they have been brainwashed to believe. Well, I don't doubt that the competition between Intel and AMD has been good for price and quality - but not for compatibility.

Do you really think that Intel would change their profitable policy if a few hundred people sign a petition?

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

I think I do understand your doubt about those people, who would or would not sign this petition. Yes, most of them are brainwashed, but, I hope, not all of them. IMHO, every asm-coder would sign. All you need is to let them know about the real situation.

About Intel's profitable policy: who knows. As you know, people here, in Europe, really don't like monopoly (I'm not sure about the rest of the world), so if you describe in your petition how one company prevents another company to sell last one's products (what about "GenuineIntel" policy, when a program or a library, compiled by Intel compiler, don't "see" on non-Intel CPUs several SSE or all of them, thus running in MMX-mode?), this fact can rise the discussion in the world programming community. Will Intel change its policy? It depends on how large discussion will be.

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

Originally posted by: avkevery asm-coder would sign.

There are not many asm coders left. A petition in itself wouldn't move anything, but it may help getting media attention. It would definitely help if we could find an IT journalist willing to make a campaign. It would have to be someone from a major PC magazine or an influential blogger. He would press Intel and AMD for a comment. And he might get comments from various software companies. The petition might give him an excuse for keeping writing about it. Now professor so-and-so has signed the petition and he would get a comment from the professor.

Maybe you are right about putting the Intel compiler issue into it. That's something people understand if you simplify it as: "Your software checks if it is running on an Intel machine and punishes you with bad performance if not".

I tried a long time ago to make a journalist write about the Intel compiler issue. He promised to write about it but never did.

Anybody out there know a good IT journalist?

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Do you remember that topic? I've posted there a link to Ars Technica's Joel Hruska's article about his CPUID manipulation. What if to invite him?

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

I have argued for a public standardization of the x86 instruction set at www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=25

Comments are welcome

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Just a little correction: 3DNow! was introduced by AMD K6-2 at 1998, not 1997.

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

I believe that your initiative would be more productive in the online petition form .

0 Likes
albert_redditt
Journeyman III

Re: AMD and Intel incompatible - What to do?

Maybe AMD should branch off on its own.  And stop being Intel compatible.

But then they would have to be like IBM and make whole computer systems and OS's and software.

A different approach woukd be to make an Intel to AMD , *.EXE and *.DLL Translator.

So you run the Translator on the program "Compiled for Intel"  and it converts it to a "Compiled for AMD" executable.

Software laws prohibit reverse engineering , but cross engineering (Processor porting) might be allowed to be done.

Just a thought ???

0 Likes