cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

alorenz
Journeyman III

all demo giving segmentation voilation in Fedora 11 karmic is slow

I have tested opencl with Fedora 11, and Kamic beta (ubuntu).  After install the video driver ( I just bought a 4870 card), I got 10K frame/sec with Fedora 11, and 2K frames/sec with ubuntu.   When trying to run the demos all failed with segmentation voliation under Fedora, and work under Karmic.    Any idea about fedora 11?

0 Likes
36 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Originally posted by: alorenz  I got 10K frame/sec with Fedora 11, and 2K frames/sec with ubuntu.

Which application are you running? 

The drivers which came with OpenCL are test drivers for OpenCL and not meant for Graphics applications.

When trying to run the demos all failed with segmentation voliation under Fedora, and work under Karmic.    Any idea about fedora 11?

Are the drivers getting installed properly? Could you try running the CAL samples, say FindNumDevices and post the result?

0 Likes

Here it also segfaults constantly on Arch Linux 64 bit

How would I know if the drivers are installed properly?

0 Likes

Try running any of the cal samples, for example FindNumDevices should be able to return the number of devices present.

0 Likes

Running the samples without graphic-drivers loaded results naturally in a device count of 0, with loaded fglrx it crashes before there is output on the number.

gdb reports

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff3f0092a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so

l shows me the main-function.

0 Likes

Same problem here on Fedora 11

Every time i start a Brook or Cal or OpenCL  samples the example crash with Segmentation Fault, the Seg Fault seem to be located into calInit() and it crash if i am a normal user or root

The step i has followed:

I am on Fedora 11 64bit  with Ati catalyst driver installed from yum repositories version 9.9

1) I has uncompressed the ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64.tgz

2) following the installation note i has added the environment variables

ATISDKSTREAMROOT and ATISTREAMSDKSAMPLESROOT pointing to the installation directory and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ATISDKSTREAMROOT/lib/x86_64

3) i go into samples/cal folder and do a make

( because yum install libaticalc into /usr/lib64/catalyst i has added this Library into the makefile.common.I has also added in some sources example #include <stdio.h> and #include <cstdlib.h> otherwise fprint and memset are not defined

4) i has finaly try to start hellocal and the sample crash into calInit()

So i has removed the yum installed driver and installed the ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-lnx, the driver seem to work ( i has the "AMD Testing use only" message on the right corner screen ), recompiled the samples make clean, make ( i has also removed the library search path /usr/lib64/catalyst because the library with the new drivers are now located into /usr/lib64  ) and tried to start hellocall and unfortunately it crash  (any samples crash)

I has also tried the Ati stream SDK 1.4 with same result crash on calInit()

Where i am wrong ?

0 Likes
Tasp
Journeyman III

Can confirm this.

Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala

ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64.tgz

HelloCL!
Creating a context
For test only: Expires on Sun Feb 28 00:00:00 2010

0x00007ffff48ef84a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff48ef84a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#1  0x00007ffff48ef6c5 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#2  0x00007ffff48ec197 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#3  0x00007ffff48e3b35 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#4  0x00007ffff4818183 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#5  0x00007ffff492c2ea in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#6  0x00007ffff4925e9f in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#7  0x00007ffff4935115 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
#8  0x00007ffff6e45b78 in gpu:evice::init() () from /.../ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64//lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so
#9  0x00007ffff6e2b4bd in amd:evice::init() () from /.../ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64//lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so
#10 0x00007ffff6e52083 in amd::Runtime::init(amd::Thread*) ()
   from /.../ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64//lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so
#11 0x00007ffff6e14158 in amd::HostThread::HostThread() () from /.../ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64//lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so
#12 0x00007ffff6e139b5 in clCreateContextFromType () from /.../ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64//lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so
#13 0x0000000000402813 in Context (this=0x7fffffffe130, type=2, properties=0x0, notifyFptr=0, data=0x0, err=0x7fffffffe138)
    at ../../../../../include/CL/cl.hpp:1552
#14 0x000000000040202b in main () at HelloCL.cpp:110

0 Likes

Tasp,
There is a known issue with Ubuntu 9.10 with the ATI drivers. Try this, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311739, to get a working driver if needed, but i'm not sure that Stream will work with 9.10 because of changes in X.
0 Likes

The driver works fine. I never had a problem with it. But the seg fault still persists.

Where can I find a list of version numbers for X and other packages with which it will work?

0 Likes
tball
Journeyman III

Did you find a solution to this problem?

I also got this problem. Every single demo app with cal og opencl segfaults.

Using Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. I got no graphic problems besides the opencl/cal ones.

$gdb ./FindNumDevices
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.467
Use -? for help

0x00007ffff5a5492a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so

EDIT:

With the driver from ati stream sdk, when I run aticonfig --initial -f I get the following:

aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

With the normal 9.11 driver i don't get that kind of messages. Does that mean my card isn't supported for opencl yet?

I got this card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]

0 Likes

Hi,

Any update?

All samples (opencl and cal) segfault.  This is on debian testing (2.6.30-2-amd64 kernel), opencl-beta-4 drivers, ATI Radeon 4350.

For example, hellocal segfaults inside call to calInit().

-Greg

0 Likes

same for me with a radeon 5850 and a fresh install of ubuntu and the last ati drivers (I got an "AMD testing use only" logo at the right down botton of my screen)

everything compiles fine but neither the opencl or cal samples work

typically i got this output:

>./hellocal

Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.467
Use -? for help
Erreur de segmentation  --> (which means segmentation fault in french !)

can anyone help us ?

thanks

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Tasp, There is a known issue with Ubuntu 9.10 with the ATI drivers. Try this, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311739, to get a working driver if needed, but i'm not sure that Stream will work with 9.10 because of changes in X.

So, does it mean that for the moment, we should use an older version of ubuntu ?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: phelluy

So, does it mean that for the moment, we should use an older version of ubuntu ?

Unfortunately the distribution you are using isn't a supported distribution currently. You might have issues with unsupported distributions. We'll be able to help you out if you can try it on one of the supported distributions to see if the problem still exists.

0 Likes

I have switched back to ubuntu 9.04 32bit and now the samples seem to run. However, in the Mandelbrot example runs, the opengl windows remains black. Is it normal ?

For the NBody sample I can see the planets spining.

0 Likes

did you use compiz? try it turn off.

0 Likes
vic20
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: nou did you use compiz? try it turn off.

thanks !

I stopped compiz and now everything works perfectly !

Another question, which is not technical. The AMD SDK sample C++ classes are well written and seem friendly to use.  Is it allowed to reuse the SDK classes for its own use ? the AMD copyright is a little bit intimidating...

0 Likes

I am also using Ubuntu Karmic and SDK v2 beta 4. I disabled the compiz but still all the samples don't work (only get segmentation fault).

Any solutions?

0 Likes

read whole thread and you get answer.

0 Likes

I am running Debian Sid and I am also seeing the SIGSEGV with the same backtrace reported by Tasp. According to the reply from MicahVillmow dependencies on the version of the ATI Drivers and X may be causing this problem.  For those of us with Sid, Arch, Gentoo etc. it would be more helpful to know which specific versions of the ATI Drivers and X are required for the SDK.

0 Likes

well i think it is that version which is in ubuntu 9.04. on my ubuntu Xorg -version return 1.6.0 driver beta from stream SDK page. some people state that official 9.11 work with OpenCL

0 Likes

Well I'm using OpenCL on Ubuntu 9.10 and I receive the same error:

I'm compiling using Eclipse+CDT on Ubuntu 9.10 and it's ok but when I try to run the program, it's always SIGSEGV

EDIT: My version of gcc obtained with gcc --version:

gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) 4.4.1

EDIT: In order to run the samples of the SDK, I have to create this environment var:

DISPLAY=<myip>:0

Well, I've tried to do the same on Eclipse, but the results are the same...

Please I need help!

0 Likes

I'm also running on Fedora 11.

I installed the Catalyst_9.12_Hotfix_Linux_8.682.2RC1_Dec15.zip drivers. That appears to function OK wrt Xorg and the desktop.  

Then I built the stuff in the ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-lnx64.tgz kit.

The hardware configuration is an inte i7 with a Radeon HD 4670.

When I run FindNumDevices from the cal samples area, I get a seg fault in the call to calInit. to wit:

0x00007ffff77a4a9a in pthread_attr_setdetachstate ()

from /usr/lib64/libaticaldd.so

I also get a segv when running any of the sample apps. 

So, what is happening here?  What information could I provide to help debug this? 

0 Likes

This bug is from beta4 and remains unfixed in the official ati-stream-sdk-v2.0 release.

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series  
OpenGL version string: 3.2.9232

$ dpkg --status fglrx-driver
Package: fglrx-driver
Priority: extra
Section: non-free/x11
Installed-Size: 51244
Maintainer: Fglrx packaging team

Architecture: amd64
Version: 1:9-12-1
Provides: xserver-xorg-video-5
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.3.2), libdrm2 (>= 2.3.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1 | fglrx-glx, libx11-6 (>= 0), libxext6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 0), libxrender1, xserver-xorg (>= 1:7.4+1), laptop-detect
Recommends: fglrx-modules-dkms (= 1:9-12-1) | fglrx-source (= 1:9-12-1), fglrx-glx, fglrx-glx-ia32, fglrx-atieventsd
Suggests: fglrx-control
Conflicts: ia32-fglrx-driver
Conffiles:
 /etc/default/fglrx-driver ed1d4df9d0728ed635e6fa5fef7633c0
 /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh a5a157f42762ffd463519d796dbd4500
 /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac e46fe559df12878876aa863b8960c7ad
 /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid dd7cb892abcafb59fd3d7e98a90b1ce2
 /etc/ati/signature 74260832d2217c2b8243712f00fceca2
 /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default ee8544891a578b83fa6e9b74f3d97d8c
 /etc/ati/control 13a13e05c3938f0dcbd3d8045577231a
 /etc/ati/atiogl.xml 89475e6ba8d695864a4d2c3943a3396d
Description: non-free AMD/ATI r6xx - r7xx display driver
 Display driver for the ATI recent Radeon and FireGL graphics cards.
 This package provides 2D display drivers and hardware accelerated OpenGL
 for X.Org version 7.1. For 3D acceleration to work, you will need to
 compile the fglrx kernel module for your kernel: see the fglrx-source
 package. Note that the driver will work without the kernel module, but 3D
 acceleration will be disabled.
 The driver can work with plain mesa libGL, but some applications may require
 the proprietary libGL. This library is shipped in the fglrx-glx package.
 This driver is not free. As an alternative, you may try the newest free
 driver xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd.
 This driver will replace parts of your X11 and Mesa system.
Homepage: http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

$ Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.30-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux coffee 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 22:40:40 UTC 2010 x86_64
Build Date: 13 October 2009  09:39:10AM
xorg-server 2:1.6.5-1 (jcristau@debian.org)
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.

$ gdb FindNumDevices
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0-debian
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
Reading symbols from /home/don/Apps/ati-stream-sdk/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64/FindNumDevices...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/don/Apps/ati-stream-sdk/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64/FindNumDevices
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.515
Use -? for help

0x00007ffff5a53a9a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libaticaldd.so
(gdb)

0 Likes

my config:

ubuntu 9.10 64bit + ati stream sdk2.0 + radeon 5750 + ati drivers hotfix 9.12 + gcc 4.4

I strictly followed the installation procedure (with the ICD config for example and the env variables)

the sdk compiles fine (even if some " #include <stdio.h>" are missing at some places...)

but all the examples (cal or opencl) give segfault

I know that ubuntu 9.10 is not supported

will a new version of the drivers and the sdk be published soon for ubuntu 9.10 ?

do you know if some combinations of ati drivers, sdk and ubuntu 9.10 are compatible ?

many thanks and best regards.

0 Likes

catalyst 10.1 should work with ubuntu 9.10. for now you can downgrade kernel from ubuntu 9.04 2.6.28

0 Likes
vic20
Journeyman III

pending the new version, is it still possible to download the previous beta version of the SDK (because for me it worked and I cannot find it anymore on the AMD web site) ?

thanks !

0 Likes

precision: the last beta version with opencl support of course...

0 Likes

http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx64.tgz

http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4-lnx32.tgz

or you can download older kernel http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/linux-image-2.6.28-17-generic

or just add "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty-security main" to the software sources in ubuntu and install

sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.28-17-generic

0 Likes

An earlier post had indicated that the version of X was at issue.  Today's posts seem to indicate that the Linux kernel version is relevant.  In general the documentation reporting compatibility with specific releases of distributions is of limited utility.  It would be much more useful to enumerate the specific dependencies and their versions since distributions ultimately move forward and many modern distributions don't work under the shrink-wrapped model of releases at all.  More useful would be a dependency list such as:

ATI Stream SDK: v2.0
 -> Xorg: vXXX
 -> Linux Kernel: vYYY
 -> fglrx driver: vZZZ
  etc.

Using this model it would be easier to identify which packages might need to be held back during a system upgrade for maintaining compatibility with the closed source ATI Stream SDK.

0 Likes
vic20
Journeyman III

Following your advice, I tried several versions of sdk, drivers and linux kernels but the best that I got is:

HelloCL!
Getting Platform Information
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 ()
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19
  Serial number of failed request:  8
  Current serial number in output stream:  8

(instead of a segfault)

my icd is correctly configured:

> ls -l /usr/lib/OpenCL/vendors/
libatiocl32.so -> /home/vic20/ati-stream-sdk/lib/x86/libatiocl32.so

libatiocl64.so -> /home/vic20/ati-stream-sdk/lib/x86_64/libatiocl64.so

I think that I will wait for the next version of the linux catalyst drivers.

I am impatient to see my opencl code works also on an AMD platform !

Anayway, thank for your help !

0 Likes

I persisted to try to run my opencl code...

According to a previous post I add the bash variable

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

then my proggram runs ! but unfortunately, my radeon 5750 is not seen (only the cpu device appears in the list of devices...)

any idea ? (my config is given in a previous post)

regardss

0 Likes

Have you tried the 'nopat' kernel option given at boot?

This solved the sigsev for me on Ubuntu 9.10 with fglrx 9.12.

X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 156 ()
Minor opcode of failed request: 19
Serial number of failed request: 8
Current serial number in output stream: 8

I've seen this error message when the driver isn't installed properly.

Have you tried to reboot after installing driver?

Also, it can be smart to check for stray fglrx.ko files:

~$ locate fglrx.ko

If you do find many fglrx.ko files, keep the most recent and delete or rename the others.

Remember to do this:

~$ updatedb

to reindex the files.

Sceptic

0 Likes

my code now works but only the cpu device is recognized, not the gpu.

regards

0 Likes

Originally posted by: vic20 my code now works but only the cpu device is recognized, not the gpu.

regards

vic20,

Please run FindNumDevices(cal sample) from samples/cal/bin/x86 and see how many device it finds.  There is a some issue with driver If it finds a zero  devices.

0 Likes

I'm clicking from kernel .31 (Arch Linux) and everything works perfectly.

At first, I tried a few different kernel versions but it didn't help at all - actually switching between kernel versions may cause [un]expected system crash due to differences in kernel, glibc and other soft.

In my particular case, the nopat argument to the kernel fixed seg fault issue.

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)

As I remember, such error occurs due to no user permission to X, which may be simply solved by running xhost + command from within user, which runs X server.

0 Likes

So far i have installed the latest catalyst 10.2 driver on karmic 9.10 64 bits. And I have no more issues.

0 Likes