cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

All apps which use EGL crash

I am using AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 and well all apps which use EGL crash at eglInitialize with SIGSEGV

Here is a sample app which crashes for testing purposes

https://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example

This seems to be going on since mid 2016!

Everything that uses EGL segfaults with AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu 16.04? - Phoronix Forums

Is there any work being done to get this fixed? It appears people are using the open source driver instead which works...

Tags (3)
18 Replies
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

Re: All apps which use EGL crash

Thank you for the report. I've passed this question to the relevant team. Will get back to you as soon as I hear back.

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

I am afraid we no longer support OpenGL ES in our driver.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

Thank you, there are many people having this problem with many different diver supported GPUs. R9 290, RX 460 etc.

You can find many posts of this problem online and what is more disturbing is people get advice to buy Nvidia hardware or use Intel GPUs because AMD has always bad support.

Who can argue, since this problem was known since mid 2016 and open source driver works and can be examined as an example. Yet, AMD didn't fix the problem yet.

amdgpu-pro-16.50 Segfault, 16.60 duplicate symbol, 16.40 init issue.

http://iptvkodim3u.com/2017/02/12/amdgpu-pro-crashes-kodi-17/

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

Thanks for highlighting this. I don't look over OpenGL stack, so I can't help much but I've asked internally to have somebody look into that thread. That's as much as I can do.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

dwitczak​​ Thank you for the quick response. So, if I am understanding this correctly, your response means that you accept it is a bug right? Because AMD GPUs are advertising ES support, but you say AMD doesn't support it. So all apps which support ES do crash. If the driver did not claim, erroneously, that it supports ES to begin with, then this wouldn't be a problem at all. According to your answer, the fix is to remove the code which erroneously advertises ES support. Can you tell when this will be fixed then? What does the "relevant team" say about this?

To be honest, there are things I don't understand related to your answer. I would be glad if you can answer the following questions also.

* AMD is still shipping libgles2 packages in its 16.60 driver. Can you also explain why it is shipped if it is not supported?

* Also AMD is providing an OpenGL ES SDK. If it is not supported, why this is not removed from site?

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-opengl-es-sdk/

BTW both Nvidia and Intel supports OpenGL ES 3.x+. Not supporting any version of ES seems to be a bad business decision, if it causes many critical compatibility issues.

NVIDIA Releases "OpenGL 2015" + OpenGL ES 3.2 Linux Driver - Phoronix

See platform usage:

OpenGL ES - Wikipedia

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

I'm working on getting a more thorough answer on this one. Thank you for your patience.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

dwitczak​ , dont worry, I know your problem, happens to me every time I submit a bug report. AMD support works in a way that you get a fast answer only if something is not supported, and no response if there is something to get fixed

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

I can confirm our ES support has become broken under Linux with introduction of the new AMD Linux driver architecture in 2016. This is a known issue and we are working on getting the support back in the near future.

We are also going to update the OpenGL ES SDK page to clarify the situation.

Thanks again for raising this.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

@dwitczak  thank you for gathering this information and sorry that I responded so late, I was quite sick so could not respond earlier.

I dont really understand the logic behind this. Shouldn't AMD disable the ES support completely until it at least works somewhat? Because now few apps not starting at all forcing me to use open source drivers. If AMD knew about this for so long time, I don't understand why they kept releasing drivers which claimed ES support but it was actually causing apps to crash. If this gets out, I bet competitors would start rumors that AMD was "fake" supporting ES for keeping up apparences. So, it makes little sense to take chances....

Anyway, is it possible to tell any ETA about fixing of this problem? next driver release? 1 year? 2+ years?

0 Likes