cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

marblecanyon
Adept I

Addition of large vectors in OpenCL

How to modify the code in order to be able to sum vectors with millions of elements?

First, I must say that I am a newcomer to the world of the OpenCL programming, so I hope that my question wouldn't be too difficult to answer. I'll go right to the point.

I was trying to write a simple OpenCL program that adds two vectors on the GPU, just like the ones you can find in many tutorials. The problem is the following: the program works perfectly fine for vectors that have less than 80 000 items, but a stack overflow happens for larger vectors. I guess the problem is with the global work size, but I'm not sure exactly what is wrong and how to correct it. I read in the OpenCL specification that the global work size should be able to go all the way to 2^^32-1, so I'm really not sure how to correct the program and make it work for larger arrays.

I am using ATI Stream SDK 2.2, MS Visual Studio 2010, Windows 7 64-bit OS and ATI Radeon 5650 GPU with 1GB of memory.

How should I modify the code in order to make it work for larger vectors?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

#include "stdafx.h" #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <stdlib.h> #include <Windows.h> #include <time.h> #include <CL/cl.h> using namespace std; // OpenCL source code const char* OpenCLSource[] = { "__kernel void vectorAddition(const __global int* a,", " const __global int* b,", " __global int* c)", "{", " unsigned int gid = get_global_id(0);", " c[gid] = a[gid] + b[gid];", "}" }; // Number of elements in the vectors to be added #define N 1024 // Main function // ********************************************************************* int main(int argc, char **argv) { long ts, te; int inputVectorA, inputVectorB; srand (time(NULL)); for(int i = 0; i < N; i++) { inputVectorA = rand()%1000; inputVectorB = rand()%1000; } //Platform cl_platform_id platform; clGetPlatformIDs (1, &platform, NULL); //Context cl_context_properties props[3]; props[0] = (cl_context_properties) CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM; props[1] = (cl_context_properties) platform; props[2] = (cl_context_properties) 0; cl_context GPUContext = clCreateContextFromType(props, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU,NULL, NULL, NULL); //Context info size_t ParmDataBytes; clGetContextInfo(GPUContext, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, 0, NULL, &ParmDataBytes); cl_device_id* GPUDevices = (cl_device_id*)malloc(ParmDataBytes); clGetContextInfo(GPUContext, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, ParmDataBytes, GPUDevices, NULL); // Create command-queue cl_command_queue GPUCommandQueue = clCreateCommandQueue(GPUContext, GPUDevices[0], 0, NULL); // Allocate GPU memory for source vectors cl_mem GPUVector1 = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY | CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(int) * N, inputVectorA, NULL); cl_mem GPUVector2 = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY | CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(int) * N, inputVectorB, NULL); // Allocate GPU memory for output vector cl_mem GPUOutputVector = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY,sizeof(int) * N, NULL, NULL); // Create OpenCL program with source code cl_program OpenCLProgram = clCreateProgramWithSource(GPUContext, 7, OpenCLSource, NULL, NULL); // Build the program (OpenCL JIT compilation) clBuildProgram(OpenCLProgram, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); // Create a handle to the compiled OpenCL function cl_kernel OpenCLVectorAdd = clCreateKernel(OpenCLProgram, "vectorAddition", NULL); // Set kernel arguments clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 0, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUVector1); clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 1, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUVector2); clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 2, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUOutputVector); // Launch the kernel and measure execution time size_t WorkSize[1] = {N}; // one dimensional Range ts=GetTickCount(); clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(GPUCommandQueue, OpenCLVectorAdd, 1, NULL, WorkSize, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL); te=GetTickCount(); // Copy the output back to CPU memory int outputVector; clEnqueueReadBuffer(GPUCommandQueue, GPUOutputVector, CL_TRUE, 0, N * sizeof(int), outputVector, 0, NULL, NULL); // Cleanup free(GPUDevices); clReleaseKernel(OpenCLVectorAdd); clReleaseProgram(OpenCLProgram); clReleaseCommandQueue(GPUCommandQueue); clReleaseContext(GPUContext); clReleaseMemObject(GPUVector1); clReleaseMemObject(GPUVector2); clReleaseMemObject(GPUOutputVector); for(int i = 0; i < N; i++) { cout << inputVectorA <<"+"<< inputVectorB <<"=" <<outputVector << "\n"; } cout << "Kernel execution time on the GPU is: " << te-ts << "ms!\n"; system ("pause"); return 0; }

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

marblecanyon,

Let me look at your code tomorrow.Few Questions:

I hope you are using Catalyst 10.10.

Use Proper Error handling for every OpenCL API and see if you get any error some where.

As a work around you can make each kernel do more than one vector addition.This way you require less global ndrange.

0 Likes

@Himanshu:

Yes, I am using Catalyst 10.10.

I made a longer version of code with error handling for OpenCL API calls and I didn't receive any error messages. Everything works perfectly fine for vectors with number of elements that is less than or equal  to approx. 81000, and for all larger arrays stack overflow error occurs.

0 Likes

problem is with that large arrays you declare which are allocated on stack which have limited size. allocate it dynamicaly with new. then i run you exmple succefully up to 30 000 000 elements where is maximum as you cant allocate bigger buffer.

0 Likes

Dynamic allocation of arrays solved the problem, indeed. Thank you very much, nou!

*beer*

Now, the program works with arrays of about 32 000 000 elements, before it starts to create wrong results. I was wondering, is there anyway to avoid the buffer restriction and improve on this result too? I mean, except the obvious one of splliting the arrays in multiple parts.

I modified my code a little bit, so I'll post the new version of the code.

#include "stdafx.h" #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <stdlib.h> #include <Windows.h> #include <time.h> #include <CL/cl.h> using namespace std; // OpenCL source code const char* OpenCLSource[] = { "__kernel void vectorAddition(const __global int* a,", " const __global int* b,", " __global int* c)", "{", " unsigned int gid = get_global_id(0);", " c[gid] = a[gid] + b[gid];", "}" }; // Number of elements in the vectors to be added #define N 16777216 // Main function // ********************************************************************* int main(int argc, char **argv) { long ts, te; int *inputVectorA, *inputVectorB; inputVectorA = new int; inputVectorB = new int; srand (time(NULL)); for(int i = 0; i < N; i++) { inputVectorA = rand()%1000; inputVectorB = rand()%1000; } //Platform cl_platform_id platform; clGetPlatformIDs (1, &platform, NULL); //Context cl_context_properties props[3]; props[0] = (cl_context_properties) CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM; props[1] = (cl_context_properties) platform; props[2] = (cl_context_properties) 0; cl_context GPUContext = clCreateContextFromType(props, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU,NULL, NULL, NULL); //Context info size_t ParmDataBytes; clGetContextInfo(GPUContext, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, 0, NULL, &ParmDataBytes); cl_device_id* GPUDevices = (cl_device_id*)malloc(ParmDataBytes); clGetContextInfo(GPUContext, CL_CONTEXT_DEVICES, ParmDataBytes, GPUDevices, NULL); // Create command-queue cl_command_queue GPUCommandQueue = clCreateCommandQueue(GPUContext, GPUDevices[0], 0, NULL); // Allocate GPU memory for source vectors cl_mem GPUVector1 = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY | CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(int) * N, inputVectorA, NULL); cl_mem GPUVector2 = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY | CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, sizeof(int) * N, inputVectorB, NULL); // Allocate GPU memory for output vector cl_mem GPUOutputVector = clCreateBuffer(GPUContext, CL_MEM_WRITE_ONLY,sizeof(int) * N, NULL, NULL); // Create OpenCL program with source code cl_program OpenCLProgram = clCreateProgramWithSource(GPUContext, 7, OpenCLSource, NULL, NULL); // Build the program (OpenCL JIT compilation) clBuildProgram(OpenCLProgram, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); // Create a handle to the compiled OpenCL function cl_kernel OpenCLVectorAdd = clCreateKernel(OpenCLProgram, "vectorAddition", NULL); // Set kernel arguments clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 0, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUVector1); clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 1, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUVector2); clSetKernelArg(OpenCLVectorAdd, 2, sizeof(cl_mem), (void*)&GPUOutputVector); // Launch the kernel and measure execution time size_t WorkSize[1] = {N}; // one dimensional Range size_t localWorkSize[1]={256}; ts=GetTickCount(); clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(GPUCommandQueue, OpenCLVectorAdd, 1, NULL, WorkSize, localWorkSize, 0, NULL, NULL); te=GetTickCount(); // Copy the output back to CPU memory int *outputVector; outputVector=new int; clEnqueueReadBuffer(GPUCommandQueue, GPUOutputVector, CL_TRUE, 0, N * sizeof(int), outputVector, 0, NULL, NULL); // Cleanup free(GPUDevices); clReleaseKernel(OpenCLVectorAdd); clReleaseProgram(OpenCLProgram); clReleaseCommandQueue(GPUCommandQueue); clReleaseContext(GPUContext); clReleaseMemObject(GPUVector1); clReleaseMemObject(GPUVector2); clReleaseMemObject(GPUOutputVector); /*this is commented because for large N it takes too much time to print the results for(int i = 0; i < N; i++) { cout << inputVectorA <<"+"<< inputVectorB <<"=" <<outputVector << "\n"; }*/ //but we print a couple of values just to check if everything went OK cout << "C["<< 0 <<"]: " << inputVectorA[0] <<"+"<< inputVectorB[0] <<"=" <<outputVector[0] << "\n"; cout << "C["<< N/2 <<"]: "<<inputVectorA[N/2] <<"+"<< inputVectorB[N/2] <<"=" <<outputVector[N/2] << "\n"; cout << "C["<< N-1 <<"]: "<<inputVectorA[N-1] <<"+"<< inputVectorB[N-1] <<"=" <<outputVector[N-1] << "\n"; cout << "Kernel execution time on the GPU is: " << te-ts << "ms!\n"; system ("pause"); return 0; }

0 Likes

look at CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE. it is maximum size of buffer. on current AMD GPU it is 128MiB so it is 33554432 of int.

0 Likes