cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

whitecherry
Journeyman III

Access Violation when clGetPlatformIDs is called

I downloaded AMD APP SDK 2.8 for win7 64bit(AMD-APP-SDK-v2.8-Windows-64.exe), and the 9.003 driver for a FirePro W7000 card from AMD website.

When I run the samples from AMD APP SDK using VS 2010, for instance, sample "BoxFIlter", I see "Access Violation message at line #220 in "SDKApplication.cpp" where  clGetPlatformIDs is called.

The code is copied here:

cl_int status = CL_SUCCESS;

cl_uint numPlatforms=1;

cl_platform_id platform = NULL;

status = clGetPlatformIDs(0, NULL, &numPlatforms); // Access violation here!!!

The message says:

"First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in BoxFilter.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.

Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in BoxFilter.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.

The program '[7040] BoxFilter.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xc0000005)."

This happens to other samples as well. I checked the installation, environmental variables, and the driver version. Everything looks good to me. Has anyone seen this before? What could be the problem that causes it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
realhet
Miniboss

I experienced the same syndrome (accessv at 00000000 in the first opencl.dll call) when I uninstalled the latest catalyst and then, after a reset, I installed an older catalyst. Then the opencl.dll was broken.

The solution was:

a) install the latest cat

b) use the AMD Catalyst Uninstall utility right after the regular uninstall. This way older drivers can function well.

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Just try realhet's approach for now. FYI, there was a similar issue with W8000 card sometime back, and now it is W7000 card. Both the issues were with 9.003 driver. But an older driver worked for that person. I will let you know if there is any thing more to share.

0 Likes