cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

VincentSC
Adept II

8970m under Linux

Just got my MSI GX70 with Richland A10-5750M APU and Neptune HD 8970M. Immediately installed Ubuntu 64 and the beta fglrx-drivers. I installed the 13.8 beta, because not 13.6 but 13.4 was promoted as stable and i understood there would be problems using too old drivers.

When doing "aticonfig --lsa", I only got HD8650G listed. My conclusion: the HD 8970M is not supported yet under Catalyst 13.8 beta drivers. Am i correct? If yes, when can I expect to get support? And if no, what should I do to get it working?

0 Likes
1 Solution
sarobi
Adept III

0 Likes
7 Replies
VincentSC
Adept II

Bump

0 Likes
sarobi
Adept III

Did you try the 2nd beta released yesterday?

AMD Catalyst™ 13.8 Beta Driver for Linux

0 Likes

Yes, the 8970m is supported in beta2!

Unfortunately not both GPUs are available under OpenCL, but it's a start. You happen to know how to enable both iGPU and dGPU?

0 Likes

Unfortunately not, maybe someone from AMD. So which GPU is visible to OpenCL now, only the dedicated one?

0 Likes

By using "aticonfig --px-igpu" and "aticonfig --px-dgpu" (and do a re-login), I can switch between the two GPUs to use for display. Very user-unfriendly, but doable.

I also managed to get OpenCL running on all GPUs:

• clinfo: 2 devices (CPU and iGPU or dGPU)
  • sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all
  • put second monitor not "right-of" but on position "0 0" in xorg.conf
  • re-login
  • export COMPUTE=:0
  • clinfo: 3 devices (CPU, iGPU and dGPU)

Ofcourse, it would be nice compute could be controlled from the catalyst control centre in the future.

I have a GX60 and managed to get all three devices (CPU, iGPU and dGPU) by accident once and could not reproduce. I'm very happy you brought it up !

0 Likes

Happy I could help you, while Sarobi helped me.

A made a little change due to missing cursors. As the second monitor defaulted to another resolution, the cursor disappeared.

Now put second monitor not at "0 0" but at "2000 0" in xorg.conf. This makes the second monitor unreachable and I now can keep the cursor on my screen.

Did not test with an external monitor yet and neither do I know which GPU is used for it - I want to be able to configure that. Neither do I know how if it costs power to have the second GPU configured in Xorg. Both are potential problems.

0 Likes