Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jvd66
Adept I

8970M linux amdgpu driver support

Good day -

I am trying to get the Linux-4.5 amdgpu driver to work with my Radeon Neptune XT 8970M card,

which has PCI ID : 1002:6801 .

My first question is : what chipset family / codename is my card ?  The choices are:

{ CHIP_KAVERI , CHIP_BONAIRE , CHIP_HAWAII,  CHIP_KABINI, CHIP_MULLINS, CHIP_TOPAZ, CHIP_TONGA, CHIP_CARRIZO }

Secondly, where can I get detailed technical information on my card ?

There appear to be NO technical resources on the AMD.COM site for the 8970M - just marketing hype .

Is there a card layout diagram + list of components on the card / technical data sheet available anywhere ?

I'm guessing the PCI IDs list entry in amdgpu_drv.c  should be :

{0x1002, 0x6801, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, CHIP_TOPAZ|AMD_IS_MOBILITY|AMD_IS_APU},

because the 1002:6xxx IDs begin with 1002:67xx ( Hawaii ) and resume at  1002:69xx (Topaz) .

Can anyone suggest what chip family and features ( AMD_IS_MOBILITY | AMD_IS_APU ) I should use here ?

It appears that developing support for my card in the open-source amdgpu driver is the ONLY way I can

run Linux 4.4+ with graphics mode capability ,  since fglrx does not work with Linux-4.4+ and I do not

want to run ANY closed source software on my machine - ALL software running on my machine is built

from source by myself. Installing the complete AMD closed source X-Windows + Mesa stack, as required

by fglrx , is not an option I will ever accept.

Any suggestions gratefully received .

Thanks & Regards,

Jason

0 Likes
1 Reply
win32asm
Journeyman III

No chance for us. 8-)
Irregardless of the flags in ID definition, amdgpu driver tries to map 5th memory region for mmio - Linux/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_device.c - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

and 8970M has only the following regions:

Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

Region 2: Memory at f7b00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]

Region 4: I/O ports at e000

(verify with lspci -vvv)

Technically, as the card is GCN 1st gen, CHIP_TOPAZ may have suited (others are gen2-4 and cpus), but without controlling mmio, it all is kind of pointless.

We need to get "official" design paper for the card to make it work...

0 Likes