Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

quetzal
Journeyman III

8970m and linux

Hello,

I've just received my new laptop with 8970m. I try to install fglrx drivers (13.12) but they are not compatible. If I force install them, i've black scree when I try to start with fglrx.

Viewing this post 8970m under Linux drivers seem to work, but it's not the case for the last beta and last stable i've find, or for the ubuntu drivers from the package manager.

aticonfig said that no supported adapters, but i can see ati 8970m neptune in lspci.

When this card will be compatible ?

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
quetzal
Journeyman III

I've found the difference between the previous post and mine. The other person have an amd APU with this graphic card, i've an intel cpu.

It seem that 8970m with intel cpu is not supported by the driver under linux (i've the "no compatible card" message).

Does this support will come in near future ? This is my first amd card (i always used the other well known brand), i'm a little disapointed by the lack of linux support

0 Likes
kylesiefring
Journeyman III

What distro are you running and what linux kernel does it run on? What do these two commands give you?

lspci | grep VGA

egrep -i " connected|card detect|primary dev" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

These are from my console history from when I was fiddling around xorg. If you can, the whole Xorg log would be nice. Also, don't be surprised if results for primary dev aren't returned in the search. It isn't on my computer.

I won't be able to answer more question since I won't be near my linux computer.

0 Likes

I'm running ubuntu 13.10 with kernel 3.11.0-14-generic

lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Neptune [Radeon HD 8970M]

egrep return me no result, i've put the full log here: http://pastebin.com/ejP4Tg7M

If i install fglrx from repo, i've a black screen with only the mouse visible after log in (not depending on the windows manager). If i try the official install script, i've the "incompatible" message.

0 Likes

[     7.910] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"

[     7.910] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx

[     7.910] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"

[     7.910] (II) Unloading fglrx

[     7.910] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)

Is this the result from the depo or without that installed? It doesn't seem to be detecting a module for fglrx at all. If you want the log from when you have the driver from the depo installed, you'll have to copy the log file to a location it won't be overwritten. After logging in, press ctrl+alt+f1 and you should get a terminal.

Also, one thing you can try is disabling the intel hd graphics in bios and try installing flgrx from the offical repo. This isn't much of a solution since discrete graphics tend to eat up power when left on their own. I'd switch it back after trying this.

0 Likes

Hello,

This is with fglrx installed [ 660.805] X.Org X Server 1.14.3 Release Date: 2013-09-12 [ 660.805] X P - Pastebin.com

But we can't see any fglrx reference in it, certainly because of the same reason that aticonfig said me that there is no compatible card.

I can't disable the intel card in the bios. This is a muxless system, the intel card is always used (even when the amd card is working).

0 Likes

I just think that fglrx doesn't support this graphic card for the moment. I hope this support will come soon, because i can't play under linux since there is no support This card exist since 8 monthes, thisthi is a shame that the card is not supported by linux drivers, and this is almost the same card as the 7970m. That's why i think that this is just a ID problem or something like this.

0 Likes