cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD EPYC™ Processor Lands at Strata New York

raghu_nambiar
0 0 1,503

After years of attending the Strata Data Conference, this is my first year at the show in my new role as Vice President and CTO of the Datacenter group for AMD. It’s also the first year for AMD’s new server processor, EPYC™, which only increases my excitement about the conference this week. The AMD EPYC processor is designed specifically for the modern datacenter with high core counts, access to large amounts of memory, ample memory bandwidth and massive I/O. All brought together with the right ratios to create an incredibly flexible workhorse able to meet the needs of a wide variety of workloads.

The big data revolution began with the ability to harness many computers in order to process large amounts of data (far larger than ever before). This was an innovative use of software that turned under-utilized smaller servers into a single data processing engine that unleashed the latent power of the data that is the beating heart of every business.

The next innovative leap provided the ability to process this huge volume of data in real-time. Advances in networking, storage and software technology enabled real-time streaming processing of huge volumes of data. We are now entering the next stage of innovation: real-time analysis. Analysis is what turns data into insight, and the combined efforts of the global community are making analysis of big data in real-time a reality. The AMD EPYC processors are perfectly matched to support the hardware underpinning all of the computation needed to support this effort.

We are proud to be part of a large and growing ecosystem of partners, many of them here at Strata New York: Hortonworks, MapR, DataStax and Couchbase to name just a few; all of whom are actively participating in this ongoing innovation. AMD’s most recent contribution is the EPYC SoC which employs a truly innovative design -  the “no compromise, single socket” system is now a viable choice to replace two-socket systems. This in turn drives down cost, improves energy usage and makes better use of space in the datacenter.

Business innovates with data. With AMD EPYC processors, that innovation extends all the  way down the stack into the processor itself. Stop by our booth (#954) at the conference to see some of the more than 50 server platforms that the AMD EPYC processor has been designed into, as well as information on our growing list of partnerships with independent software vendors.

About the Author
Raghu Nambiar is the Corporate Vice President of Datacenter Ecosystems and Solutions at AMD. In this role, he leads engineering teams and their collaboration with ecosystem partners. Raghu has more than 20 years of technology industry experience across a number of engineering organizations. He was previously the CTO of the Cisco UCS business and played an instrumental role in accelerating the growth of the Cisco UCS to a top data center compute platform. He has spent his entire career working on software and hardware ecosystems for data centers, both on in research and business use cases.