cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

hockey97
Journeyman III

Do you have to make contracts with amd to use their cpus in a devices?

Hi, I am trying to figure out  if I want to make some eletronic device and decide I want to use AMD'S cpu and gpu's  would I need to get rights from amd to use their cpu and gpu in my system?

Or does that come automaticly when you just buy the cpu's and gpus?

I want to know this cause I want to develope a system and hoping to  have this device in the commercial market.

I  assume I would need to talk with AMD and pay some royalties to them for using their cpus in my systerm.

I never made items for the commercial market so I am inexperience in getting some product into the market with using  cpus and gpus from manufactors.

Since I took some business class I was told that any device that you didn't make you need to contact thoses owners to make deals else  if the product your taking from another company to put it into yours  and if it has patents on it they can sue me for pantent infringment.

So I thought why not ask here.

so just a recap :  I want to know  if  I can use AMD cpu,gpu  in m y own eletronic system for commercial market.

Meaning I plan to sell this if  all things go well.

0 Likes
1 Reply
stroia
Staff

Hi hockey97,

Sorry for the late reply.  Our legal department is very busy these days.  The answer to your question is, no, you don't have to get any kind of contracts with AMD in order to legally sell our parts in your own device.  As long as you are buying the parts from a distributor or a retail vendor, you have no need to enter into a contract with AMD.

There are no royalties on using our parts in a computer system that you build.

Hope that answers your question.  If you think I am misunderstanding the question, then please let me know and provide more information.

Thanks!

STroia

0 Likes