Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Steven_Makoviac
Journeyman III

Calling kernel from dll == Crash?

Hi,

i build a litlle function Brook+, it runs fine from Visual Studio but if i compile it as a dll and load it from an another program it crashes. Could it be that GPU kernels which are called from a dll always crash? Maybe a bug?

0 Likes
7 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

DLL built with MT or MD flag?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna DLL built with MT or MD flag?

I compile with none of them, this is how i compile:

cl.exe  /EHsc  -I%brook% -LD main.cpp BrookSimpleTest.cpp -FeGPU_DLL.dll /link /LIBPATH:%brooklibs% %libs%

Which flag i should use?

0 Likes

compile with MD flag.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna compile with MD flag.

I added the /MD flag, which libs? i've to add? Because the program fails because (Unsatisfied Link Errors, cannot find dependent libraries). This is my bat file

set brook="C:\Program Files\ATI\ATI Brook+ 1.4.0_beta\sdk\include"
set brooklibs="C:\Program Files\ATI\ATI Brook+ 1.4.0_beta\sdk\lib"
set libs="brook.lib"

"%VC2008%\cl"  /MD /EHsc  -I%brook% -LD main.cpp BrookSimpleTest.cpp -FeHelloNative.dll /link /LIBPATH:%brooklibs%  %libs%

0 Likes

Hi Steven_Makoviac,

I assume you are using XP for your development. Brook+ uses one thread local variable in the generated CPP and XP (not Vista or Linux) has limitation on using thread local variable in a dll and calling LoadLibrary() on this dll (more information at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684175(VS.85).aspx).

There are two possible solution of this issue. You can choose any one of them-

1. Instead of loading libraries at runtime, make them link time dependent.
2. Change line 48 of KernelInterface.h (under $(BROOKROOT)\ sdk\include\brook) from #define __THREAD__ __declspec(thread) to #define __THREAD__ and rebuild your application or dll (no need to build Brook+ source). This change should not affect your application until your application is calling the same kernel from multiple threads.

0 Likes

Hi,

yes i'm using Windows XP but now it works. I used the second solution.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Interesting. It was explained to me that this wouldn't gaurantee correct results, unless something has changed in 1.4.

In fact, this flies directly in the face off their Stream Programming Model and the fact that there are no read/write streams.

I'm interested to see what AMD has to say.

Edit:Removed Advertising from the post

0 Likes