Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

werwer
Journeyman III

Rendermonkey + OpenglES 2.0 = GL_FALSE

Hi!

Please help me!!

I have Rendermonkey v.1.82. When I try to open any OGLES 2.0 projekt, the preview is black. Both OpenGL and DX9c works fine, but ogles 2.0 doesnt work at all. It doesnt hang or anything, just that you cant see the preview.

Can anyone help me with this?

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ38M, GeForce 8400M GT 512mb.

Thanx.

0 Likes
23 Replies
bpurnomo
Staff

Hello,

We are currently trying to produce this problem in-house.  Which OS do you use?  Also, have you updated the driver on your laptop (the emulator might relies on some recent opengl support)?

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for answering.

I`m using Windows XP Prof. Service Pack 2.

I have the latest graphic drivers. So annoying 😕

0 Likes
werwer
Journeyman III

Please help me. Really need it!

0 Likes

We are not able to produce this in-house. One thing you can try is to set 32 bit color depth for your display.  Also, are you able to run ESEmulator on your machine?

0 Likes

Yea, I can run the emulator and other examples through VS etc. But Rendermonkey doesnt work . The screen is just black. Doesnt say that its not supported or anything.

0 Likes

Hi,

I am also having the same problem.

My hardware is an Acer ASPIRE 5920G laptop. The GPU device is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

Only the fur sample seems to produce some output (looks wierd though)

Errors.txt file in RenderMonkey directory does not report any errors.

OpenGL ES 2.0 emulator 1.2 sample triangle project builds and runs (in release and debug) correctly. Same is true for provided triangle executable.

The color of the preview windows can be set by changing the "clear color" option in the GUI. So, the problem is related with object drawing I suppose.

My operation system is Windows XP Pro SP 3. I cannot update the driver on my laptop. (the vendor has to release a modified graphics driver, it's better not to wait for it.)

My current installation config is complete Installation with the permissions set to "anyone". I tried different installation options, but none worked.

The same problem was also described in another topic in gamedev forums:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=495954

The fur screenshot there is what I get also.

I hope the problem can be solved, because I really need a nice OpenGL ES shader editor.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I could upgrade to latest NVIDIA laptop driver 179.48. This had no effect to the problem, RenderMonkey still shows black preview on OpenGL ES projects.

0 Likes

Hi, we are still trying to reproduce this problem in-house.

Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you can try the following:

1. Open/Run ES Control Panel.

2. Under Debugging Output, select Text file instead of None option.

3. Run RenderMonkey with an OpenGL ES sample that reproduces the problem.

4. A file called C:\ES2_Debug.txt will be generated.  Can you please email that file to us (gputools.support@amd.com)?

0 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.

Modifying the debug output to Text file did not produce any text file. But, I also tried other combinations to see how they would work: After enabling the performance throttling option, if "dump limited data to screen" option is enabled, the black preview window displays ALU and FPS information. If "dump perf details to files" is enabled, the related ES2_PerfDumpFrames.txt, ES2_PerfDumpShaders.txt and ES2_PerfDumpSummary.txt are created in the output directory I set in ES control panel. If these files can be any helpful, I can send them by email.

I hope the information I provided is useful.

0 Likes

Do you not see ES2_Debug.txt file in the output directory that you set in the ES control panel if you set the Debugging Output to Text file?  C:\ is the default location.

0 Likes

No, ES2_Debug.txt is not created in the output directory. I opened many OpenGL ES projects, but even the Fur sample (which can render a sphere-like object) does not create that file. Additionally, the output console in RenderMonkey does not show any warning or errors (all lines end with Done or Success).

I also looked into Errors.xt file in RenderMonkey directory. Once an ES project is opened up, the following lines are appended to Errors.txt file:

[RmPreviewGLWindow.cpp] (line  430): Successfully created GLSL-compliant preview window
[RmPreviewGLManager.cpp] (line 8660): C l e a n i n g   a l l   rendering manager resources...

When other projects are opened after the first one, the "cleaning all rendering manager resources" message is displayed 3 times before the "Suc. created preview wind." message. This is also the same in DirectX or OpenGL projects, so the problem is not there I suppose.

0 Likes
tanja1
Journeyman III

Try to use another programm this one is very hard in use

0 Likes

Does another similar program exist for opengl es?

0 Likes
ndhb
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same problem. Rendermonkey 1.82 produces black preview for all ES samples (except the fur-example that renders a working preview).

ES Emulator is installed and works correctly. No debug output is generated (ES2_Debug.txt). No warnings or errors that indicate a failure.

Windows XP SP3. GF8800GTS (driver version 182.06).

0 Likes

Hi all,

I have the same problem here, using XP SP3 and GF8800GT with latest drivers.

That's really annoying... Anyone found out what's happening or even better, a solution ?

0 Likes

I had the same problem with a GeForce 8800GTX but I just found a workaround:

Use NVemulate (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvemulate.html). set "GLSL Compiler Device Support" to "NV40 (GeForce 6000 Series, Quadro FX 4000" and click Apply. Then start RenderMonkey. OpenGL ES effects should work now! When you're done, set the option in NVemulate back to "Driver Default" and hit Apply to reactivate the full feature set of the GPU.

The bug seems to occur only on GeForce 8 series and upwards. Without using NVemulate, the NVIDIA GLSL compiler generates (for the vertex shaders) code for the new gp4vp profile (see http://www.nvidia.de/object/cg_2_0_may08.html). When compiling a vertex shader of the OpenGL ES samples of RenderMonkey, the compiler outputs: "warning: no vertex attribute is explicitly assigned to vertex attribute zero". When using NVemulate as described above the compiler generates vp40 code and no warning is thrown.

Note: I tested with a rather old ForceWare driver (158.27). A recent one (tested 190.38) did work too (using NVemulate), but many of the OpenGL ES samples in RenderMonkey did not compile (well, they compiled, but could not be linked). So if you encounter the same problems, try an older driver version.

0 Likes

Excellent job in finding the workaround.  Can anyone else confirm that this workaround work for them?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bpurnomo Can anyone else confirm that this workaround work for them

It works on my machine, and I'm really happy about this ! Many thanks !

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bpurnomo Excellent job in finding the workaround.  Can anyone else confirm that this workaround work for them?

Worked for me too

0 Likes

working on my 8800GT, VistaX64 too!

10/10 for this work around!

0 Likes

I am having the same problem on both Quadro FX 380 (vista 64) and Quadro FX 570M (xp). The workaround did not work for me. Only the fur demo sort-of works. Rest of the examples either fail to compile or just produce a black window.

0 Likes

I have the same problem...  I am using NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M GPU... 

Using the NVEMULATE does not work for me...

FYI only the FUR example is working...

0 Likes

Ok now its working ... the trick is that when using the NVMULATE, you have to change both the Emulation and Compiler support to the GeForce 6800/600, Quadro FX 4000 setting...  

I was just doing the "Feature Set Emulation" drop down and not both...

0 Likes