cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

godsic
Journeyman III

AMD Pipeline

I am always think about why x86 pipeline does not change over last 40 years!

Programmers always use High level languages to programming CPU and compilers in several cases generate similar sequences of instructions! So why not to implement in pipeline 'next instruction predictor'? I believe this can improve AMD processors performance. SO AMD WHY NOT?

WHY YOU ALWAYS FOLLOWS INTEL???????? GO YOUR OWN WAY!

0 Likes
3 Replies
avk
Adept III

Well, I should correct you about '40 years': actually, the x86 ISA was born in 1978 with 8086 CPU, so it's just 30 year old.

Next: Of course, the x86 ISA is not an ideal architecture, but it is global dominating one. Do you know that English is not an ideal human language? Ask about it to Chinese-, Japanese-, Spanish-, French-, German-speaking people. Do you know that C and C++ are not an ideal programming languages? Ask about it to Pascal-, Basic-, Assembler-, Python-coders. What for I'm talking these? There is a standard de-facto notion exists. And if anybody (you, me, AMD) would try to break this standard, then this revolutionary would fail.

0 Likes
godsic
Journeyman III

to avk:

There is no change to x86 architecture at all.

It is change to CPU pipeline structure! This changes does not affect x86 architecture! Even if AMD try to change x86, they can always made hardware simulation of IT! SUPERSCALAR is SUXX

0 Likes

There may not be a relaible platform for a change.

0 Likes