Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rveldema
Journeyman III

permission? problem running cal app remotely

Hi,

I'm trying to run a brook app remotely, I've followed the instructions from the knowledge base (patched gdm/custom.conf, chmod of /dev/dri/card0, setting new DISPLAY var etc).

Now when running, for example, amdcal/bin/lnx64/FindNumDevices, I get on /var/log/Xorg.0.messages:

AUDIT: Tue Mar 17 17:00:46 2009: 2618 Xorg: client 11 rejected from local host ( uid=0 gid=0 pid=8783 )

This is on fedora 9 after a yum update. This all used to work on fedora 8 (which is no longer supported so an update was needed).

Problem also persists regardless of 1.3 or 1.4 of brook/cal.

0 Likes
4 Replies
the729
Journeyman III

So the problem is that the computer running GPU programs do not have sufficient permission to access the X server on your GPU server.

You need to use xauth or xhost command to change the privilege settings.

Or you can simply pass -ac (no access control with xauth) parameter to the X server command line. However you may also need to use xhost to edit the white list of remote hosts.

0 Likes

That's why I have (in /etc/gdm/custom.conf):

[server-ATIStream]
name=ATIStream
command=/usr/bin/Xorg -br -ac -audit 0
flexible=true

You can't run xhost (as it needs someone already having authorization to the server). xauth is likewise not good.

It looks like the above 'command' line is perhaps ignored:

[veldema@faui21k X11]$ ps ax|grep Xorg
 2618 tty7     Ss+    0:03 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XX0CJFQU-for-gdm -nolisten tcp
 9963 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep Xorg

0 Likes

So it was ignored. Try to edit gdm.conf itself?

Or there is a simple way, just copy /var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XX0CJFQU-for-gdm to your home directory and rename it to ".Xauthority".

Also, you can use fglrxinfo to check if the permission is sufficient.

0 Likes

Yep, that did the trick: I copied the /var/run/gdm/auth cookie

and now I once again have a FindDevices prog that works!

This should perhaps be put in the doc for remote CAL apps. Now writing a simple script to copy that file on startup to some public place so users can do 'xauth merge'

0 Likes