Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Outerheaven
Journeyman III

Physx Implementation

Hello there,

i´ve got a question to the developers of ATI/AMD:

When ist the implementation of the Physx-Engine ready?

It was told, that is in work, so i decided to by an ATI 4870 Grafik Card last yerar. Is that an AMD or an Nvidia Problem? It can´t be so difficult with so many developers

I would be happy when it´s done soon

So what´s the status. Thanks!

0 Likes
10 Replies
avk
Adept III

I heard that AMD won't support PhysX on its GPUs, because PhysX is a property of nVidia. But if nVidia would propose PhysX as an open (-source) standard...
0 Likes

You have different informations as i´ve got!

Here ist one statement i pick up:

ATI falls for PhysX

You may recall a recent article on Nvidia's offer to ATI. Nvidia gave ATI the opportunity to use PhysX if they took up CUDA. Well, the result from this offer has been agreed! ATI have decided to go with Nvidia; this is not a huge surprise as ATI could have been out of a job if it didn't take up PhysX. Nvidia could easily force it upon game developers.

You may also remember ATI showing off its R600 GPUs with a demo of falling bricks. This was designed to discourage Ageia. They claimed that the R600s could process physics better than the PhysX card itself. Now that Nvidia can run PhysX on CUDA, ATI should be able to do the same. Both sides need to work and improve this complex piece of code.

The Big Lime Greens will surely be the first with PhysX on their graphic drivers, but we are sure ATI will follow soon enough. ATI does have a good position at the moment; they have now joined with Nvidia's PhysX and Intel's Havok, a WIN-WIN situation.
But that lead to nothing. It´s all speculation.
There must be a person in charge who knows more. And i hope with more background than i have.

0 Likes

AFAIK, AMD/ATI doesn't work on the PhysX's implementation for its GPUs. I'm sorry.
0 Likes

That´s a pity!

I hope there will be a mod soon. Thx.

0 Likes

Why is it a pitty?

Its a proprietary API, and NVidia pushes it a lot - without any goal of opening it up - just to hurt AMD.

I see way more potential in OpenCL, which can be used by whatever physic engine a programmer prefers to use for his/her game (or even for sound, AI processing).

0 Likes

Well there is some good news my friends Not so long ago AMD released Physix Support via Havok on their ATI VPU's:

AMD Havok

AMD + Havok Physx slide

0 Likes

Obi-Wan Kenobi: I think that you are confusing things: nVidia PhysX software library and the physics science itself . Please have a look at your screenshot: there is no mention of nVidia PhysX on it.

0 Likes

So the Informations are wrong wich says, that Nvidia support the implementation of Physx für ATI Cards, but ATI refuse this (so i read in several news)?

So i think it´s also wrong that Eran Badit gets no support from ATI, but why refuse ATI/AMD a comment about this? There is no reason why. Now AMD get the buck passed. That was not wise! I'am realy interested in that behavior of AMD. There have to be a reason for that.

It was written that Nvidia will help Eran to implement Physix on ATI Cards but it seems, that Nvidia is only interested to silence him. And the best way is to offer him a job...

Where is the truth? I think it´s in the middle. Both companies act wrong. M

And when comes the Havok implementation? Until now there is only a Physx implementation for games. No Havok games are available? Why? AMD have to hurry or the oversleep the next trend.

I think its time to speak a clear word for Nvidia and AMD. The leveraged are the customers.

For myself i am very angry about the misinformation i get when i bought me a new gaphiccard. Maby i would picked up a other card. Now i have a AMD/ATI card and i´ve bought me an AGEIA Physx Card for using Physx...

0 Likes

Outerheaven: Look, there is no AMD's fault that PhysX is still not implemented on its GPU. This fault is nVidia's. Do you want to know: why? nVidia claims that it suggests AMD to make support PhysX on AMD GPUs, but it's lie, because AMD haven't recieve such a letter from nVidia. That's sad true, because nVidia fears competition.

About Havok: sooner or later, I'm sure, AMD will let us know about the games supporting this technology.

0 Likes

Havok is a lot more useful right now. Look at the already very old Half-Life 2. It has more physics then any current game that supports nV's PhysX.

0 Likes