cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

vreed
Journeyman III

HD 4830 etc

Hi, I am looking at buying some (consumer end) hardware with a view towards exploring ATI Stream (and/or CUDA) computing (towards scientific computation applications) and was wondering if the omission of the HD 4830 as a supported GPU in the system requirements page for the v1.3-beta SDK was intentional or an oversight (perhaps coming from older versions of the documentation that predate the HD 4830?):

>>>

Supported Cards:

ATI Radeon HD23501
2400 Pro1,2
2400 XT1,2
2600 Pro1,2
2600 XT 1,2
2900 GT 1,2
2900 Pro 1,2
2900 XT 1,2
AMD FireStream9170

1Does not support double precision floating point operations
2Does not support kernel scatter

>>>

Also:

-- is the limitation in the first footnote remark above temporary (at least for the 4xxx series cards), i.e, is it expected to to be removed in the future versions of the SDK?

-- I noticed that some (IGP) motherboards (as well as video cards) explicitly list support for CUDA. I was therefore also wondering if explicitly stated support is required from vendor specific implementations of the hardware for one to be able to use that hardware for Stream computing.

Thanks in advance!

-- VR

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi VR,

It is a typographical error on my part when I speced out the system requirements page. I'll get it fixed when I put up the page for 1.4.

And, the DPFP limitation is due to it not being supported in the GPU ASIC used in the card. We don't have plans at the moment to emulate that with SPFP hardware.

The 4830 does not have such a restriction as it does have DPFP hardware.

Michael.
0 Likes

And concerning the IGP support for ATI Stream... some users have gotten it to work on chipsets such as 790FX. We are planning on adding official support (mainly a testing thing than anything else), later on this year. It will specify the AMD products not the manufacturers of the motherboards.
0 Likes

Thanks for clearing up the typo, Michael. I presume that SPFP does work on all supported cards.

"And concerning the IGP support for ATI Stream... some users have gotten it to work on chipsets such as 790FX."

You probably meant the 790GX chipset which is the IGP version of the 790FX chipset with HD 3300 as its graphical engine (I do happen to have this board, although as yet unassembled.)

Thanks again.

-- VR

0 Likes

Yep, meant the 790GX! 🙂 (I am just getting into the details of IGP support so please excuse my typo! :-))

And, yes, SPFP does work on all of the supported cards.

Michael.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu@amd.com Hi VR, It is a typographical error on my part when I speced out the system requirements page. I'll get it fixed when I put up the page for 1.4. And, the DPFP limitation is due to it not being supported in the GPU ASIC used in the card. We don't have plans at the moment to emulate that with SPFP hardware. The 4830 does not have such a restriction as it does have DPFP hardware. Michael.

Thanks for the clarification. Can you already say something about the upcoming cards, especially the successor to the HD46x0 series. The RV740 is supposed to have the general layout of the RV770LE (HD4830) besides a different memory controller. Does that also include double precision support? Or can't you comment on that yet?

It would be really great to have close to 200 GFlops double precision peak on a performance/mainstream card for 100-120€!

0 Likes