cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

DrYak
Journeyman III

OpenCL timeframe ?

When can we expect support for OpenCL from ATI/AMD ?

Hello !

The OpenCL specifications have been just publish recently.

Given the long list of acknowledgements in the 1.0 specs, AMD/ATI has been quite active in the process. Also, after reading the specs, this whole cross-platform GPGPU mid/low-level API looks really interesting !!!

I would like to know : how long do we have to wait until we get an OpenCL implementation for Radeons ? (I would like to test some OpenCL code of mine !!!) and how long until Brook+ gets some OpenCL backend ? Are there any estimation how long until we get at least some preliminary versions ? Specially OpenCL under Linux ?

Thank you very much !

0 Likes
7 Replies

DrYak,
AMD has stated that we will have support for OpenCL in the first half of 2009.
0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Hi!
Just to repeat the second question: Where will OpenCL be positioned in the Software Stack? Replacement for CAL, for Brook+ for both, in between them?
Thanks...
0 Likes

Thats also something I am very interested in.

0 Likes

The OpenCL spec puts the language at a higher level than CAL but not at as high a level as Brook+.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow The OpenCL spec puts the language at a higher level than CAL but not at as high a level as Brook+.

So, Brook+ codes -> OpenCL -> CAL -> hardware?

0 Likes
DrYak
Journeyman III

We have now reached the half of 2009. Are there any recent information about the timeframe before a public release of OpenCL from ATI ?

Will it, for example, be synchronized with OpenCL launch on Mac OS X ?

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

Any news on OpenCL?

0 Likes