cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

xtremeleo
Journeyman III

Radeon HD 4870 X2 Support

Can 4 of these be used in the same machine?

Hi,

I was wondering whether I would be able to use 4 Radeon HD 4870 X2 on the same system.

Will CAL be able to recognise the 8 GPU's?

Will there any driver issues?

Could I manage to grab 1 core for graphics processing, and the other 7 for GPGPU?

Some übermachine thoughts I've had and I wish if you could help me if it is possible of not.

Thanks

0 Likes
10 Replies
shormanm
Journeyman III

even a single Radeon HD 4870X2 is not officially supported. We have been asking for dual Radeon HD 4870X2 support for a while and we kept getting ambigous answers that ultimately meant no. I will be satisfied with dual Radeon HD 4870X2 support although four is a dream. Is there any motherboard or power supply that can handle 4x Radeon HD 4870X2? My guess is no. Maybe 5870x2 will be more power effecient?! I hope that is the case.

For now I want to join you and ask for official dual (or more) Radeon HD 4870X2 support.

0 Likes

Thanks for joining, hope in SDK 1.3 it gets supported. Right now there are 4 PCI-Express x16 slots motherboards, like the MSI K9A2 Platinum V2. You could get a 2 KW PSU, which I think is enough. Have you tried with a single HD 4870 X2?

0 Likes

Some of the "vague references" seem to say that it may be possible to use it... I've even seen reports of people getting 2.4 TFLOPS on some demos... I'm not sure personally though.  Part of the problem is with a special crossfire connection between the two RV770 gpus....

I'd love to see it happen... I just already am finding the computational power of a mere 3870 exciting.  I'll upgrade eventually, but right now I'm happy .

0 Likes

If you are having any trouble using 4870x2's with 1.2 or later SDK's please let us know. The support for the 4870 chip was added in this release and any Radeon cards using this chip should work.
0 Likes

Thanks for caring Micah, but right now I haven't got any 4870 X2, maybe in the future I could get some. I would appreciate if this could work, just imagine 9.6 TFLOPS in a single case!

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow If you are having any trouble using 4870x2's with 1.2 or later SDK's please let us know. The support for the 4870 chip was added in this release and any Radeon cards using this chip should work.

Does that mean I can now safely invest in four 4870X2 cards now without a problem?

Do the four 4870X2 cards get recognized as 4 or 8 cal devices?

Sorry if I am asking the same question again and again. The investment is just too much for me to find out later that I cannot use the four cards at the same time.

0 Likes

xtremeleo,
AMD is partnering with Aprius to bring just exactly that. Here is a link to the press release from last week:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27702201/site/14081545
0 Likes

Shormanm,
I just talked to the driver team and they said that four 4870X2's should get recognized as 8 cal devices. That isn't to say there might not be other problems, but it should work.
0 Likes

Thanks Micah these are really good news.

If I fit a quad core CPU, these 4 X2, a 75~ W PCI Card, 2 10K HDD, a Liquid Coolig system and a DVD burner, should a 2KW PSU make the work?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: xtremeleo Thanks Micah these are really good news.

If I fit a quad core CPU, these 4 X2, a 75~ W PCI Card, 2 10K HDD, a Liquid Coolig system and a DVD burner, should a 2KW PSU make the work?

Thanks for your questions and got the right questions from the team.  I am going to build my new system like this for both Gaming and GPGPU. Where 2GPU for gaming and 6 GPU for GPGPU or 4 GPU (with Crossfire X) for Gaming and rest for GPGPU.

I seldom seem 2K Watt Power supply so I suggest either 1 piece of 1.5K Watt power supply or if your case is something like a big server tower go with 2 pieces of 1K Watt power supplies.  

0 Likes