Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

helmutb
Journeyman III

Crash in amdcalrt DLL

Crash in amdcalrt DLL when running a CS shader after loading a PS shader

Hi,

i'm encountering a strange crash in calCtxRunProgramGrid() when running a compute shader if i have loaded an il_ps_2_0 shader before. I was able to reproduce the situation by combining the bursing_CS example with the module loading code from the helloCAL sample. If i'm loading the helloCAL pixelshader between the SetupKernel() and SetupData() (somewhere around line 314 in bursting_CS.cpp) the crash occurs in calCtxRunProgramGrid() in the same way as it does in my application. If i'm moving the pixelshader module loading code before SetupKernel() or after SetupData() the bursting example runs without any problems.

This happens under XP32 (8.9 Catalyst) and Vista32 (8.10 Catalyst). I have dualcore machine with 1GB RAM and a HD4850 1GB (primary display) and a HD2600 256MB

i will add a download link to a vc8 project showing this behaviour soon

thanks,
Helmut

0 Likes
5 Replies
helmutb
Journeyman III

here is the link to the modified bursting_cs example

project file and source

btw i am using CAL 1.2.1

regards,
Helmut
0 Likes

helmutb,
Can you verify that this works with 1.2.0?
0 Likes

Hi Micah,

no unfortunately both my application as well as the modified bursting_CS example are showing the same behaviour with CAL 1.2.0 (under Vista32, Catalyst 8.10 i will do some tests under Windows XP later)

i had a look at the disassembly and it seems that the crash happens at the same location in both cases (i could provide the disassembly or the machinecode if this is of any use for you)

thanks,
Helmut

edit: cal 1.2.0 doesn't run on my machine under XP (it fails to open the device i think), i have used the XP 64 patch as described in this thread http://forums.amd.com/devforum...d=100329&enterthread=y but the result is the same, it sill crashes somwhere in calCtxRunProgramGrid(). Could this be related to the the amount of system memory vs. the amount of video memory? I guess there are not that many people out there who have more video memory in their system than system memory 🙂

0 Likes

I have similar crashing problem when calling calCtxRunProgramGrid after invocation of a pixel shader with CAL 1.4 and Catalyst 9.4, Windows XP/Vista 32 bit , HD 4870 X2. Is there any news about fixing this bug?

0 Likes

In my case a workaround was to introduce a second context which was running only compute shaders.

I didn't investigate this further, the modified bursting example was running with SDK 1.3 and finally my own code with 1.4 and Catalyst 9.2 without requiering a dedicated compute shader context.

hope it helps also in your case

0 Likes