cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

correo_rab
Journeyman III

New PC platform

Do you remember the Amiga, Spectrum, Amstrad and so on, computers. They had the OS in the ROM in part, and they didn't have heat-sinks in their CPUs or Graphics chips.

I believe that 'Moore's law had a colateral effect : to maintain the idea of double transistors means double performance, they had to more strain on the CPU's so, a Pentium could need 8W of power ( I don't know the Motorola's 68K I think much less, because Pentium already needed heatsinks and a fan ), but todays uProcesors, use 130W ...

I believe that there is a niche for computers reliable : without heatsinks and fans, or moving parts. Hard disks are reliable, but ... they tend to get broken. Of course ... we have the exploding market of NetComputers ... and the past Geodes and Bobcat coming new our stores soon. But I think would be wise to make computers that :

- They didn't need heatsinks and fans. Heatsinks draws heat that at last is a problem that must be solved by another fan on the case if I'm not wrong

- They didn't had hard-disks. SSD instead

- Part of the OS could be in Flash memory and could be started without a huge OS. With basic and reliable BIOS at startup.

- You could transport your system on a Pen Drive or SDCard and start your configuration system on any PC available.

- GPU's ... the same.

- Instant on.

- Main focus on responsive interface, and reliable tasks ( The end of Ctrl+Alt+Del and killing tasks ). May be with Watchdogs on tasks ( Not jackofalltrades, but helps ). If we have to loose performance to maintain responsiveness ... then ... OK.

I would like computers that they didn't have to be formatted or cleaned ( Softly and hardly speaking). Closed systems, like the old ones.

The idea is to try to get the most IPC/watt compatible with todays PC.

0 Likes
11 Replies
cknopp
Journeyman III

These are already manufactured.  It is sold under the name Blackberry.

0 Likes

I have heard that Blackberry is coming out with a touch screen. I am behind the curve and it is altready out? Or was I being made a fool- waiting...

Edit: Removed advertising from post

0 Likes

Yeah, I read the news few days ago. Can't wait for that new seri.

0 Likes

Those are some really old system your talking about if only most application we are using require less CPU power then what your talking about can be a reality but looking at the trend today it looks like it will only remain a dream.

0 Likes

What I find fascinating is that "old" isn't THAT old.  Hubby used to work for Bell Northern Research as a hardware engineer.  Now, with every new piece of equipment he gets he compares it to the "old" days (late 80's).  While it's kind of fun to compare, it also makes one feel "old"

0 Likes
ahooper
Journeyman III

I definately remember those systems. It would sure be great if a full computer would be availiable with some of those features, like Instant On, whisper quiet, etc.

I have seen some new solid state hard drives that help.

Edit: Removed advertising from post

0 Likes

I don't remember this OS

0 Likes
ahooper
Journeyman III

Back in the day we used to use the Amiga platform for Video Editing, Animation and Titling. Long before Avid, Final Fut and Premiere was the Video Toaster.

It was amazing what would be done... all with Floppies and very little hard drive space.

0 Likes

Oh yes!

0 Likes
aedsys
Journeyman III

Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is the arrangement of how the resources of a business are obtained. It is a system that maintains all the data from various business functions in one common database.

0 Likes

Talk about a nostalgic blast of the past 😃

0 Likes