cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

xtremeleo
Journeyman III

Debugging issues samples

I've opened the samples solution under VS 2008, and upgraded the solution. When I compiled the first time I got several LNK errors, which the FAQ topic says it is related to the bitness, which this first time was on x86 and my machine is x64. I changed the compiler target to x64, and added brook.lib to the dependencies, but now when I try to compile, the option is deactivated. When I return to x86, the green triangle activates. Do you know a workaround?

0 Likes
11 Replies
xtremeleo
Journeyman III

I've been trying with the VS properties, but nothing at all, can anyone make me a little howto on this please?

thanks beforehand

0 Likes

Hi,

I did experience some similar (although not identical) issue running under vista32/VS 2008.

After a while I simply regenerated the brook runtime (under VS 2008), and as far as I can tell ... so far so good !

Have a try.

Jean-Claude

0 Likes

Thanks jean-claude but I am quite a newbie, so can you be more explicit with how to regenerate the brook runtime please?

Sorry for the inconvenience but remembering when you were young may help.

0 Likes

Let me try to sumarize :

1) go to:

C:\Program Files\AMD\AMD Brook+ 1.2.0_beta\platform\runtime\src

2) open with Visual Studio 2008 the runtime project file

3) compile & link both debug and release versions (BTW .don't worry about 1 post process error)

5) When done you'll have to move (copy) the content of

C:\Program Files\AMD\AMD Brook+ 1.2.0_beta\platform\runtime\lib\xp_x86_32

TO

C:\Program Files\AMD\AMD Brook+ 1.2.0_beta\sdk\lib

That's it

Jean-Claude

0 Likes

Thanks again Jean-Claude but my Brook+ folder has ony the following folders inside it:

sdk, docs, samples, utils and sdkbrowser.

I've searched for the platform and src ones, but I couldn't find them.

I've got Vista x64 with AMD Stream SDK 1.2 beta x64, is that an issue?

I know this must be desperating, but is the first time that happens to me, even I can't compile it!

Thanks for you time and help.

0 Likes

Hi xtremeleo

Well, I don't know about (AMD Stream SDK 1.2 beta x64 / Vista 64) SDK folder contents. From my side I'm using (AMD Stream SDK 1.2 beta x32 / Vista 32)  SDK...

Neithertheless, I suppose there should be a folder structure as described in the pdf document "Stream Computing User Guide" (page 40).

If this is not the case, ask AMD/ATI folks. I'm sure they'll help.

Regards

Jean-Claude

0 Likes

Thanks again Jean-Claude, but I don't have the solution to recompile the runtime. I'll guess I'll ask a Ati guy, or consider returning to a 32 bit environment, less problematic. Nevertheless I'll get your informed if I get feedback.

0 Likes

I do not know about VS2008 since I do not use it. You should at least be able to run the pre-built samples without compiling them. Can you do that?

0 Likes

I can run the samples from the Brook+-->samples-->bin-->lh_x86_64 folder without issues. When I open the solution under VS2008, if I select 32 bit run mode (F5), it compiles but as my sistem is 64 bit, it crashes. On the other hand when I select 64 bit the whole menu is deactivated and I can't even build them, VS skips the projects.

Please feel free to ask any details you want, thanks for your help.

0 Likes

I think your problem is the Visual Studio 2008 installation.

The default installation doesn't include the x64 support, so try the add/remove features wizard to check this. Doing so has fixed me a similar problem once.

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

If you installed x64 SDK to be able to run 32 bit samples you should change lib path environment variable first.
0 Likes