cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jski
Journeyman III

Problems with SDK 1.2

I downloaded the 1.2 SDK and installed it (after un-installing 1.1). I'm using Catalyst 8.8 + openSuSE 10.2 + Radeon 3870 + Core2 QuadCore. I sourced the following:

export PATH=/usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/amdcal/lib64/:/usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib:$LD_
LIBRARY_PATH
export CALROOT=/usr/local/amdcal
export BROOKROOT=/usr/local/amdbrook

Built simple_matmult and ran it. The computer froze (i.e., hung). I rebooted and tried hello_brook - that worked.

Is there something/anything I failed to do???

---jski

PS> I just noticed this in amd-cal-install-linux64.txt: "This version of CAL SDK uses the Catalyst 8.7 driver." I thought that SDK 1.2 was targeting Catalyst 8.8?

0 Likes
19 Replies
nberger
Adept I

Same over here in 32 bit. I used Catalyst 8.8 on Scientific Linux 5.2 and a Radeon 3870. Installation was trouble free, but as with jski, my machine freezes upon running simple_matmult or my own application. Any ideas?

Nik

PS: if this is any help: even tough the machine freezes in my application when creating the first stream (and is also no longer reachable via ssh), a log file created with BRT_LOG_FILE seems to indicate that the program finished ok...

PPS: On my second machine with a 4870 card, simple_matmult runs without problems - I start to suspect that this is somehow linked to my troubles reported here.
0 Likes

Nik, did you stick with Catalyst 8.8 with the 4870? Or did you try Catalyst 8.7 as is indicated in amd-cal-install-linux64.txt?

One other question: if I swap out the 3870 for the 4870 do I need to un-install Catalyst and CAL and BROOK - then re-install them?

---jski

0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Jski! Yes, I stuck with Catalyst 8.8. I would not know about swapping the cards, as I fortunately have two machines at my disposal. It might be, that you have to re-install Catalyst (or at least reconfigure) but I would be surprised if you had to re-install CAL and BROOK. Can anyone of the experts comment on this?
0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Now that the "official" links to 1.2 have appeared, I have uninstalled brook and cal, downloaded and downloaded it again. To my disappointment I found that the install files were identical. Still, I installed again, compiled the samples and found again that simple_matmult freezes my machine.
Now I am not doing anything fancy: On a supported platform (Scientific Linux is a RHEL clone), with a supported card (3870) and the suggested driver (8.8) I run a sample program provided with the release and this FREEZES MY MACHINE.
Of course I was hoping the new release would help me to overcome some of my problems (or at least provide decent documentation). This does not seem to be the case. What is AMD suggesting to improve the situation?
0 Likes

simple_matmult sample in the latest CAL and Brook seems to work fine for me. I am using RHEL 5.1 64bit using HD3870 and Driver version 8.8. I am not really sure what the problem.

0 Likes

I had a EUREKA moment.  I finally got the right combination of video card (Radeon 4870) + driver (Catalyst 8.8) + SDK (1.2) + some minor tweaking to work together.

---jski

0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

sgayam: The only major difference I see between your an my setup is that you are running a 64bit Linux. With my 32 bit scientific Linux 5.2 I can reproducibly freeze my machine with simple_matmult.
Jski: Same with me, 4860+8.8+1.2 seems to work for simple_matmult. In my own application I however get a segfault where the program ran fine before... So for the moment I am back to 1.1.
0 Likes

The above configuration is the ONLY configuration I've gotten to work ... EVER!

---jski

0 Likes

jski and nberger,
The two platforms that are 'officially' supported and were tested to work in this release were RHEL 5.1 and SLES 10.1. Outside of that we cannot guarantee that everything works correctly. However, we are looking into the freezes/issues and will try to get a workaround for these issues.
0 Likes

jski and nberger,

I talked to the engineer who tested SDK 1.2 -- the SDK (including simple_matmult) was tested successfully on RHEL 5.2 32-bit, RHEL 5.1 64-bit and SLES 10.1 64-bit.

Since it does work on these systems, can you provide us with more details about your software/hardware? Can you please check if the kernel and the gcc versions in your system are the same as the above mentioned system? Was there any issue with the catalyst driver install?

0 Likes

All I can say is that the 1.2 SDK works with openSuSE 10.2 & Radeon 4870 & Catalyst 8.8  When I tried it with the Radeon 3870 the machine would freeze up and I had to reboot.  ---jski

0 Likes

jski, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit openSuse?

0 Likes

64-bit (Core2 Quadcore).  ---jski

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow jski and nberger, The two platforms that are 'officially' supported and were tested to work in this release were RHEL 5.1 and SLES 10.1.

AFAIK, the most popular linux distribution today is Ubuntu. I hope you could add it "officially" soon

0 Likes
jski
Journeyman III

In the real-world (or at least mine in NASA & DoD), it's either SuSE (openSuSE for workstations) or Red Hat (Fedora for workstations).  Sometimes Debian ... but not too often.   ---jski

0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Ok, some more info about the anatomy of my freezing system:
(I got two identical boxes with the same problem, so loose cables or HW defects are rather unlikely)
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, 2GB RAM, Radeon HD 3870 GPU
Scientific Linux CERN 5.2. (a repackaged RHEL 5) 32 bit with
Kernel 2.6.18, gcc 4.1.2
Installation of the driver was without problems, ditto for the SDK.
On a similar system with a 4870, I do not observe these problems.
0 Likes

Then the difference is: 4870 (does not freeze) vs. 3870 (freezes)?

---jski

0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Basically yes. Software is identical on the two machines, however they got different motherboards. I am not too keen on swapping graphics cards...
Nik
0 Likes

All I can tell the AMD boys is that when I swapped out an 3870 for an 4870 it started working.

---jski

0 Likes