cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Methylene
Journeyman III

Catalyst 8.9 - 8.10?

What can we hope for in terms of the stream sdk?

I realize that the next Stream SDK will be aiming support for catalyst 8.8... That's great!  I mean I've been spending the most part of the last 3 days trying to get an installation scheme that works with the 8.6 drivers for me.  I've actually gotten things mostly installed, but I'm getting an xcb assertion, one I actually got already when trying to run the CAL samples with 8.8.  This time it's occuring for fglrxinfo :'(.

At any rate, the intruduction of 1.2 and it supporting 8.8 will be wonderful, but I also realize ATI's support for the new X.Org 7.4 and X Server 1.5.0 will not come until release... However it looks like we will finally see release very shortly.

Of course I've found being on the bleeding edge in linux to be quite the hobby, and I'm hoping we will see support for 7.4 by November.  However it's early in the month, and a great present would be release this month.  However, with the likely amount of changes this will cause to the fglrx driver in order to support 7.4, I assume things might not go that quickly for Stream SDK support.

Do you expect X.Org 7.4 supporting fglrx drivers will break the up and coming version of the Stream SDK?  If so, when can we hope for support?

Furthermore, is there anywhere I can look to see the development road map for the Stream SDK?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Methylene
Journeyman III

As for my current problem... I'd like to recap real quickly in case anyone has some info...

Installing fglrx from the ati 8.6 installer (regular sudo sh install.run) will work on the ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS amd64 desktop live cd, but using the same cd and installing and then running it will result in the "White screen of death" upon restarting X even with the same xorg.conf that worked in the LiveCD.

Generating Debian packages from the ati installer allows me to install, and even get the fglrx driver started, but when running fglrxinfo I get...

fglrxinfo: ../../src/xcb_io.c:350: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
Aborted

and in my dmesg is...

For my 780G

[  234.704839] [fglrx:__adapter_map_vbios] *ERROR* Adapter (PCI:1:5:0) :cannot find BIOS
[  234.704849] [fglrx:__adapter_cail_init] *ERROR* Can not read rom image
[  234.704852] [fglrx:adapter_init_one] *ERROR* Adapter initialization failed (1)
[  234.704855] [fglrx:hw_start_default] *ERROR* Can not initialize ASIC(1)
[  234.705416] [fglrx:cf_prepare_candidates] *ERROR* Can not initialize the hardware

For my R670 (HD3870)

[  234.704839] [fglrx:__adapter_map_vbios] *ERROR* Adapter (PCI:1:5:0) :cannot find BIOS
[  234.704849] [fglrx:__adapter_cail_init] *ERROR* Can not read rom image
[  234.704852] [fglrx:adapter_init_one] *ERROR* Adapter initialization failed (1)
[  234.704855] [fglrx:hw_start_default] *ERROR* Can not initialize ASIC(1)
[  234.705416] [fglrx:cf_prepare_candidates] *ERROR* Can not initialize the hardware

I'm not sure what is actually running right now, it may be the "radeon" driver.  But it isn't vesa.  And any gl related calls will give me that assertion.  (I assume it is because the driver  crashed loading up :/...

0 Likes

Reinstalled...

Downloaded envy-gtk from repositories... used it to install what it says is the 8-6 driver.  (fglrx-envy packages)

Works now finally!

0 Likes