cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

DX11 compute shaders + OpenCL vs StreamSDK

How gonna affect the DX11's compute shaders and OpenCL to the StreamSDK?

Are you deprecating the Windows part of the StreamSDK in favor of the DX11 GPGPU solution? Gonna deprecate the StreamSDK and use OpenCL for linux instead?

thx

0 Likes
7 Replies
yakktr
Journeyman III

I wonder which one will be used mainly  for programming Ati cards in the future. I don't think CAL will be deprecated totally even if any other will come forward.

0 Likes

I thought the intent was to use Brook+ as a development vehicle (i.e., a means to experiment with language constructs) for OpenCL.

---jski

0 Likes
jdartvp
Journeyman III

Well hopefully the DirectX team will massively improve the shader compiler for compute shaders in the future. As in its current state as soon as you tip out of the typical game shading world into a more general computation world it seems to fall apart pretty quick.

Also not giving any documentation about the intermediate Assembly language the compiler produces makes it hard to validate if the output code makes any sense.

0 Likes

OpenCL and DX11 support are simply additional programming entry points for developers for whom it makes more sense. Our entire SDK should be supported the same (sans DX11) between Windows and Linux.

Michael.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu@amd.com OpenCL and DX11 support are simply additional programming entry points for developers for whom it makes more sense. Our entire SDK should be supported the same (sans DX11) between Windows and Linux. Michael.

Is there any roadmap on when we will see OpenCL support in the AMD's Stream SDK? I know the OpenCL world is still pretty vague at the moment and besides some annoucements from Apple (release in Mac OS X 10.6) and establishment of the Khronos Working group and comitment from AMD's side there is not much information to gather about it at all.

Will OpenCL + StreamSDK also be able to target heterogenous architectures or at least allow either AMD MultiCORE CPU or AMD/ATI GPU as a target?

0 Likes

Hi jdartvp,

I can't say too much about the roadmap for OpenCL support at this moment as the Khronos working group is still in the process of ratifying the OpenCL standard and the engineering team schedule is not something I can let out externally yet. However, I can tell you that they are actively working on it right now. Being able to support CPUs with OpenCL is something being considered as well.

Michael.
0 Likes

Thanks Michael! For giving more insurance on this matter. It's good to hear that AMD is fully commited to the OpenCL standard more then some of your competitors it seems. I am just asking since I am in the process of evaluating different GPGPU solutions for our product and OpenCL looks very promising even though the information is pretty sparse so I was wondering when the earliest timeframe would be that more information would come to light. But I guess this is not the right forum to ask this!

0 Likes