cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mike3
Journeyman III

linux driver for RHEL 5.1 x86_64 for the Radeon 4870 or 4870 X2 for stream computing?

Where could I find a Linux driver for a graphics card with a single Radeon 4870 GPU, as well as for one with 4870 X2, so that I can use the cards under RHEL 5.1 x86_64?

Also, will the Stream SDK for RHEL 5.1 x86_64 work with the 4870 or 4870 X2?

0 Likes
9 Replies
jski
Journeyman III

I posted this on another thread (Compiled and executed simple_matmult using SuSE 11.0 & Catalyst 8.7 on a Radeon😞

Downloaded AMD Stream SDK v1.1-beta and compiled and executed simple_matmult using SuSE 11.0 & Catalyst 8.7 on a Radeon 4870.  The result follows:

libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to unlock a connection without having acquired
        a lock first, which indicates a programming error.
        There will be no further warnings about this issue.
libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to lock an already locked connection,
        which indicates a programming error.
simple_matmult_d: xcb_io.c:352: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
Aborted

Currently, I'm using GPU emulation mode ("export BRT_RUNTIME=CPU") with my Radeon 4870.

---jski

0 Likes
mike3
Journeyman III

But the issue is that there is no Catalyst 8.7 for Radeon 4870 from the official ATI Catalyst web site.

Did you do the installation on 64-bit Linux?

If so, where did you get the Catalyst 8.7 for 64-bit Linux for Radeon 4870?

0 Likes

http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...key=y&keyword1=SLOPPY

This thread deals with the xcb locking issue, please give it a try.
0 Likes

What is the xcb locking issue?

The question is where to find the Catalyst 8.7 (and ideally 8.8) for 64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1?

0 Likes

"libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to unlock a connection without having acquired
a lock first, which indicates a programming error.
libxcb: WARNING! Program tries to lock an already locked connection,
which indicates a programming error.
simple_matmult_d: xcb_io.c:352: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
Aborted"

As posted by jski, this is the xcb locking issue.
0 Likes

But don't I first need to download the Catalyst 8.7 (and ideally 8.8) driver for 64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 in order to be able to install the Stream SDK for 64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1?

If so, where can I get the Catalyst 8.7 (and ideally 8.8) driver for 64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1?

0 Likes

mike3, some users have gotten the stream sdk and the HD48XX series of cards to work correctly on ubuntu using the following post.
http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...key=y&keyword1=SLOPPY

According to http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html, there is no linux HD48XX driver available yet, but it seems that the driver they used was 8.6.

However, when the next release comes out, we will be able to give a blessed driver for the SDK that has been properly QA'd.
0 Likes

When I tried Catalyst 8.6 + a Radeon 4870 with either openSuSE 10.2 or 11.0, after I installed it and rebooted the machine I got a blank screen ... and had to re-install the OS.

---jski

0 Likes

I think openSuSE 11.0 may not have been supported until after 8.6. If you get a chance, can you try out 8.8? 8.8 will be supported by v1.2-beta. openSuSE won't yet be an officially tested setup for v1.2-beta yet.

Michael.
0 Likes