cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Acumen
Journeyman III

What can I do with my 4850 and Vista?

I have a project I'd like to start running on my GPU, but I'm completely frustrated trying to get anything that will work.  Right now its in C# but it would not be a big issue getting it into C/C++.

I just got my 4850, and I'm starting to have second thoughts about it because CUDA seems to have so much more support.

As I said I am on Vista, which makes it more difficult.

0 Likes
13 Replies
ryta1203
Journeyman III

I don't believe that Vista is supported by Firestream SDK yet, although I believe they are planning this in their next release. Also, in the current release, Firestream SDK does not "officially" support HD4xx0 series, although I have a 4850 that I have not had problems with.

I really can't answer your CUDA/Firestream delimma, that's something for you to decide.
0 Likes

Is there any development platform I can use with my current hardware/software?

0 Likes

Thanks ryta1203 for replying. 🙂

ryta1203 is correct. Vista support and 4850 support is the plan for v1.2-beta which is currently getting finished up. Scheduled to be out late-Aug/early-Sept. We try to release on a quarterly cadence when possible and unfortunately, the 4850/4870 support missed that last release.

For Vista, unfortunately there isn't a work around for that at the moment that I can provide publicly. If you had an XP machine, you could try that, or if you wanted, you could install RHEL 5.1 (or CentOS 5.1) or SLES 10 SP1 and dual-boot.

Sorry for the inconvenience! A workable solution for your setup is coming imminently! Stay tuned...

Michael.
0 Likes

Thank you both for the quick replies.  I will be back around once the new beta is out.

Is there a mailing list I can get on for the release?

0 Likes

Hi Acumen, if you subscribe to AMD Stream on the developer forum, you will get messages from the developer forum sent to your email box.

I will post to the forum the moment the new SDK is available.

Click on "profile" in the upper right hand corner, click on "Personal Options", and make sure "AMD Stream" is selected in "Category Subscription". Then click "Update Profile".

I will also post to the AMD Stream Blog as well which is a lower traffic (mainly because only AMD Stream Team folks can post there) venue. Posts here will tend to lag a few days though since this venue is more highly reviewed.

http://forums.amd.com/devblog/categories.cfm?catid=335

Michael.
0 Likes

I'm anxious too about Vista x64 and 48XX support. Currently I cannot even program a good idea I have because I work on Vista and I just bought a 4850

0 Likes

bubu, although the 4XXX series of cards is not officially supported, some users of this forum has gotten them to work with linux/xp32. If you don't want to wait for the Vista support release, maybe installing linux as a dual boot might be an option.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow If you don't want to wait for the Vista support release, maybe installing linux as a dual boot might be an option.

Unfortunately I use a SATA raid and no distro seems to support it well. And I need also 48XX OGL3.0 drivers. It's a nxt-nxt-gen realtime ray tracing/global illumination realtime voxel render assisted by the GPU.

If the next release is targeted by Sep I think i'll just wait a few.

thx

0 Likes

Just as an update, AMD Stream SDK v1.2-beta is in test right now and is scheduled for the week of 9/8.

Vista 32/64 is among the new features along with 4850/4870 support.

Michael.
0 Likes

Thanks for the update, I look forward to it.

I haven't had a chance to do any programming with more then 4 threads yet, I have some software which I hope with see a big performance boost.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu@amd.com

Just as an update, AMD Stream SDK v1.2-beta is in test right now and is scheduled for the week of 9/8.

Vista 32/64 is among the new features along with 4850/4870 support.

Michael.

Michael,

Is there any way we can get a list of the new features for the next beta release? This would greatly help some of us decide to continue to pursue Firestream or not. Thanks.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu@amd.com Just as an update, AMD Stream SDK v1.2-beta is in test right now and is scheduled for the week of 9/8. Vista 32/64 is among the new features along with 4850/4870 support. Michael.

Michael,

does this include support for 4870x2 cards? Actually, we are considering plugging two 4870x2 cards in one PC, would that be supported?

Also, currently I'm using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. Any  chances that this will be supported?

thanks

0 Likes

Do you know an approximate date of 1.2 release?

Another thing, what exactly does the SDK contain?

I know that it has a type of IDE, Brook+, a ¿API?, CAL, some samples and documentation, but I have the feeling that I'm not that right.

Also are there any tutorials or howto's for beginners?

I'm on Vista x64 with a HD 4850 too, so I'am also eager to test this SDK.

0 Likes