cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

realmadrid
Journeyman III

Basic question...Can't get CAL running on CentOS 5.1

Very newbie question.  I have tried the following on both Radeon HD 4850 and 38xx.  Does not seem to work for me.  Am I missing something:

- Clean install of CentOS 5.1

- Installed compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61.i386.rpm

- installed ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run (also tried 8.49 driver)

- installed amdcal-1.01.1_beta.i386.run

- installed amdbrook-1.01.0_beta.i386.run

- updated env variables to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/amdcal/lib/:/usr/local/amdbrook/sdk/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

- Then I tried the following:

# pwd
/usr/local/amdcal/bin/lnx32

#  ./FindNumDevices
CAL initialized.

Finding out number of devices :-
    Device Count = 0

CAL shutdown successful.

CAL does no appear to find my device no matter what I try.  I've tried running in both "init 3" and "init 5" but no luck.  I have a very basic motherboard with one and only ATI Radeon card when I try this.  Could someone who has gotten this to work please let me know how?  I assume it's very basic as I see others working just fine.  Thx.

0 Likes
2 Replies
realmadrid
Journeyman III

Ok, finally figured it out.  CAL programs need to be run w/ X and GL running.  Is there anyway to run CAL without running X?

Are there plans to decouple the graphics from CAL?  I have to think it would make it run faster in that manner when the driver/HW doesn't need to worry about graphics display.

Also, the latest drivers do not run with CAL.  Only 8.49.  When will CAL be part of the standard driver release?

Thx.

0 Likes

Hi realmadrid,

This is something that is on our list of features to add. I can't give a committed date for it yet though.

Our AEs have gotten this to "work" by disabling access control to the X server and then you can access the GPU with CAL without being logged in locally to the X server.

As far as being integrated more closely with the driver release, this is also something that is being worked on. We realize that this is causing inconvenience for you guys! It's coming in a future release, but until I get an official commitment from the engineering team, I can't give an exact date.

Michael.
0 Likes