cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jski
Journeyman III

AMD Catalyst 8.7 Linux Driver Released

Just noticed that AMD has released Catalyst 8.7 for Linux (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwNQ).

I assume this is the best option going ahead with the Radeon 4870 + SuSE 11?

---jski

0 Likes
10 Replies
Poozon
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: jski Just noticed that AMD has released Catalyst 8.7 for Linux

All my BROOK programs crash when I use the new fglrx 8.7. I have returned to fglrx 8.6 immediately. I use Debian testing, 32 bit.

Best regards,

Poozon

0 Likes

Poozon,

I've had a request from the folks at AMD to provide them with more detailed info so they can work the problem(s)?

---jski

0 Likes

Originally posted by: jski Poozon,

I've had a request from the folks at AMD to provide them with more detailed info so they can work the problem(s)?

---jski

The first message in the error stack was:

Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed

This problem has something to do with xcb.

I will return to fglrx 8.7 if I find some time and I will give you a complete error stack.

0 Likes

Hi jski and Poozon,

I talked with the engineers and they are aware of the issues with 8.7. Stick with 8.6 for now. They will be testing with more recent drivers for the next release.

Michael.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu@amd.com Hi jski and Poozon, I talked with the engineers and they are aware of the issues with 8.7. Stick with 8.6 for now. They will be testing with more recent drivers for the next release. Michael.

I have checked Catalyst 8.8 for Linux. The problem has not been solved in this release.

So I am still using Catalyst 8.6.

Will it ever be fixed ? Or maybe Stream SDK 1.2 beta will work with Catalyst 8.8 ?

AMD HD 48XX GPU-s have fantastic computing capabilities and it is a pity that it is so hard to use them.

0 Likes

I can't get ANY driver to work with the Radeon 4870! Not 8.6 or 8.7 or now 8.8 (on openSuSE 11 or 10.2)!

---jski

0 Likes

Originally posted by: jski I can't get ANY driver to work with the Radeon 4870!  Not 4.6 or 4.7 or now 8.8 (on openSuSE 11 or 10.2)!

---jski

Hi jski, do you have a 64-bit Linux ? I have a 32-bit Linux and Catalyst 8.6 works fine on my system (8.7 and 8.8 do not work).

Many people have problems with running Stream SDK on 64-bit Linux (see thread: http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=328&threadid=95685&enterthread=y).

Best regards,

Poozon

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Poozon

Many people have problems with running Stream SDK on 64-bit Linux (see thread: http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=328&threadid=95685&enterthread=y).

Best regards,

Poozon

I have successfully used the SDK with 64-bit RHEL 5.1 and SLES 10 SP1. Haven't run it on Ubuntu yet; but it seems many have got it to work. Please use Catalyst 8.6 with this release; the upcoming SDK release will work with a newer release of Catalyst.

0 Likes

To repeat what I said above: I can't get ANY driver to work with the Radeon 4870! Not 8.6 or 8.7 or now 8.8 (on openSuSE 11 or 10.2)!

It appears (unless the 1.2 version of the SDK is released soon and it really-truly-no BS supports the Radeon 4870) that I need to retreat to the Radeon 3870.

---jski

0 Likes

Hi jski,

AMD Stream SDK v1.2-beta is in testing as we type... It supports Catalyst 8.8 as well as the 4850s and 4870s.

Michael.
0 Likes