cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cardinal_mendosa
Journeyman III

4850 devices not detected correctly by cal?

beginner

sorry, i know this is a bit numpty...

i have a radeon 4850 running on opensuse 11.0  using the latest drivers (v1.01.0-beta for lnx64)

the x driver seems to work (i can use it with a display)

but my test cal program fails to detect any devices attached.  the program:

#include "cal.h"
#include "calcl.h"

#include #include #include #include 

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    // #0. init the card
    std::cout << 123 << std::endl;
    if (calInit() != CAL_RESULT_OK)
    {
        std::cout << "BAD: cal init failed. bailing. \n";
        return -1;
    }

// #1. get the cal version
    CALuint v[3];
    calGetVersion(&v[0], &v[1], &v[2]);
    std::cout << "cal runtime version: " << v[0] << "." << v[1] << "." << v[2] << std::endl;

// #2. get number of devices on the system
    CALuint ndev = -1;
    if (calDeviceGetCount(&ndev) != CAL_RESULT_OK)
    {
        std::cout << "BAD: failed to retrieve number of devices. \n";
    }
    std::cout << "number of cal devices: " << ndev << std::endl;

// #3. get the 0th device info
    CALdeviceinfo dev_info;
    if(calDeviceGetInfo(&dev_info, 0) != CAL_RESULT_OK)
    {
        std::cout << "BAD: failed to retrieve device infor for device 0. \n";
    }

return 0;
}

gives output:

cal runtime version: 1.1.1
number of cal devices: 0
BAD: failed to retrieve device infor for device 0.

0 Likes
12 Replies
ryta1203
Journeyman III

I'm not sure about linux, but my 4850 is recognized by CAL under winXP-32, VS2005, just an FYI. It seems that Firestream has limited linux support at the moment. In fact, ATI has always had software problems with linux (they have a history of driver issues in linux). Also, I still think that the HD48xx cards are not yet "officially" supported by Firestream.........hell, AMD doesn't even have "official" drivers for the cards yet on their website.
0 Likes

Hi,

Could you tell us which drivers your using currently?

0 Likes

thank you both for your responses

yes support does seem a bit noncommital. i havent been able to find a clear statement of when and how much ati will support this.

on the other hand people claim to have got this working so i thought i would give it a try.

btw i am a complete newbie at gpu programming so it is highly possible i am missing a trick:

1. i installed clean os, suse 11.0 with xwindows working and the kde desktop. using a single monitor this worked but resolution was not optimal.

2. only non os thing i installed is the stream sdk using the driver and sdk package i got from here:  ftp://ftp-developer.amd.com/AMD_Stream_SDK/v1.01.0-beta/lnx64/readme_install.txt

looking at the readme, my expectation was that in this package are the driver, the cal sdk and the brook sdk - i.e. everything i needed.

this made my xwindows work very nicely so i thought something knew something about my card.

but i had problems running both brook and call samples either prebuilt ones or the ones i built myself.

as far as versions. looking at the readme in the sdk package:

- the driver is v 8.49.4 (x86_64)

- the cal sdk is 1.01.1_beta (x86_64)

- the brook sdk is 1.01.1_beta (x86_64)

looking at the drivers http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html , the latest version is 8.6 but the slight problem there is that there does not seem to be one for Radeon HD 4xxx. should i just try the HD 3xxx one?

again, thanks for any help.

0 Likes

thanks

is there a suse section i am missing there?

0 Likes

I'm not sure if you are stuck to suse or not, but if you are looking for linux, some here have gotten Ubuntu 64 fairly easily.
0 Likes

no, not at all. i would prefer ubuntu to windoze.

would it be possible to get the precise software stack specification:

-  os version

- version of the stream sdk (i guess this would have to be v 1.01.1_beta?)

- version of the driver (if different from the one which shipps with the sdk)

- any other packages/updates needed to get it going?

i had a bit of a look at versions and i will try the latest driver which is 8.6 instead of the one which ships with the sdk.

but after that, my next step will be windoze or/and ubuntu

thanks a lot for that!!

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cardinal.mendosa

no, not at all. i would prefer ubuntu to windoze.

would it be possible to get the precise software stack specification:

-  os version

- version of the stream sdk (i guess this would have to be v 1.01.1_beta?)

- version of the driver (if different from the one which shipps with the sdk)

- any other packages/updates needed to get it going?

i had a bit of a look at versions and i will try the latest driver which is 8.6 instead of the one which ships with the sdk.

but after that, my next step will be windoze or/and ubuntu

thanks a lot for that!!

Here is the thread I was refering to:

http://forums.amd.com/devforum...d=95685&enterthread=y

0 Likes

cardinal.mendosa,
The currently shipped SDK does not 'officially' support Radeon HD4850 and HD 4870 yet, as it was released before the card was available. Although there is some reports of it working with certain configurations, however there is not a blessed version. We are working on this and will have official support soon.
0 Likes

nah fair. a couple of questions:

1. when will the ati pope dispense his blessing? i am not looking for a date here just some indication as in days, months, years??

2. what is the meekest hd radeon supported by the stream sdk on linux. being a newbiee my primary concern is learning. 0.1 TFlops or 1Tflops is more or less the same to me at this point. so the idea would be to set up the environment and learn. when the new sdk is out switch to 4850.

thanks

0 Likes

cardinal.mendosa,
The meekest card that supports all the features is the HD3850. Although other cards such as HD34XX and HD36XX are supported, they don't support double precision and scatter/gather and thus are not the best cards to be learning with. I can't give an exact date on the release but maybe someone who can will chime in with an estimate.
0 Likes

cool. thanks for that.

0 Likes