Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Nexis
Journeyman III

Problem with SDK 1.1 beta on RHEL 5.1

calinit() crashes

I'm trying to run CAL with a HD3870 under RHEL 5 .1(x86_64) but I'm unable to execute the samples applications. Here is what happens when i launch hellocal:

[root@localhost lnx64]# ./hellocal
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  8
  Current serial number in output stream: 8

The HD3870 is recognized in the Catalyst Control Center and I've installed the package compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61.x86_64.rpm as it says in the readme_install.txt file.

After reading the topics: 32 bit Fedora 8 + Linux Brook and SDK 1.1 beta on ubuntu Hardy, I've also installed the package libxcb-1.1-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm and tried putting "export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true" before launching hellocal but I still get the same results...

If I take the code of the hellocal project and that I comment everything except the call to calinit(), I still get the same results. If I put a printf() just after calinit(), it isn't even printed so calinit() is just crashing for an unknow reason...

Any Idea?

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi Nexis,

Are you sitting in front of the machine logged into X-Windows?

CAL currently requires X-Windows to talk to the GPU. You need to setup DISPLAY to point to the appropriate X-Windows display.

Michael.
0 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yea, I'm sitting in front of my machine logged into X-Windows...

By default, my DISPLAY variable is set to ":0.0". I've tried setting it to "localhost:0.0" and calInit doesn't crash anymore, but the card is not detected by CAL (It is still detected in the Catalyst Control Center though). Here is what happens when I run FindNumDevices:

[root@localhost lnx64]# export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
[root@localhost lnx64]# ./FindNumDevices
CAL initialized.

Finding out number of devices :-
        Device Count = 0

CAL shutdown successful.

Thx again for your help

0 Likes

Also, since my first post I've installed Windows Xp on my computer and all the CAL samples are working fine so the card is probably not the reason why it's not working under linux...

However, I've notice that when I get the attributes of my HD 3870, I get:

GPU device clock rate in megahertz: 120
GPU memory clock rate in megahertz: 470

While in the Catalyst Control Center it is written:

Core Clock in MHz:   776 MHz
Memory Clock in Mhz:   1126 MHz

Shouln't the info I get with calDeviceGetAttribs() be the same as the one shown in the CCC?

0 Likes
lpw
Journeyman III

The clock speeds vary depending on GPU load to save power.  The numbers reported by calDeviceGetAttribs() represent the state of the card during initialization.

Lukasz

0 Likes
Nexis
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: lpw The clock speeds vary depending on GPU load to save power. The numbers reported by calDeviceGetAttribs() represent the state of the card during initialization.

Lukasz

Ok great, thanks for your answer...

0 Likes

Are you using the fglrx driver that came with the CAL and Brook images from the ftp site, or is this a regular gfx driver? -- marcr
0 Likes

Originally posted by: marcr Are you using the fglrx driver that came with the CAL and Brook images from the ftp site, or is this a regular gfx driver? -- marcr

Well, when I installed the card I first tried the beta driver from the ftp site (8.49 I think) but since CAL wasn't working, I installed the lastest driver available on AMD's website (8.501) but the result is still the same...

0 Likes