cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gpoint
Journeyman III

MMX (IPP) support level for various processors

Where can I find info on IPP version support for different AMD processors?

I've been googling and searching the AMD site for details on which AMD processors support which level of MMX/IPP capability.  Can anyone point me to a list?

My specific immediate question is whether the AMD Opteron 2218 HE processor supports Intel Integrated Performance Primitives (IPP libraries), version 5.3.  I'd like to get this info for some other processors as well.

I sent this question to AMD tech support's "CPU Support" 3 days ago, but no reply.

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
avk
Adept III

Theoretically your CPU must be supported by the IPP, but it can be inferior. I mean that IPP is an Intel software product, so this library can contain the CPU Vendor verification for "GenuineIntel", which can lead to the performance suffering on the non-Intel CPUs. The best way to check this it is to analyze a library's binary code. Anyway, even so, the IPP should work good enough on your CPU.
0 Likes
gpoint
Journeyman III

Thanks avk.  I'm told that different AMD processors support IPP to different levels.  I'm still hoping to find a resource that lists IPP version for different processors as a next step.  Seems reasonable to assume that this is documented somewhere, but I can't find it.

0 Likes

Gpoint,

As far as MMX goes, I believe it has been supported on every AMD x86 processor since the K6-2. Possibly before that.

For your IPP question you might try this forum: http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/1274/ShowForum.aspx or if you have an IPP support agreement you could go that route.

Regards,

Randy [AMD]

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Randy: AFAIK, the 1st AMD CPU with MMX support was K6 (i.e. K6-1, not K6-2 ).
0 Likes