cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

tunghsin
Journeyman III

Are there any attractive sample for Stream ?

I'm a PC DIYer and I'm interesting in newest computer techs.
Recently I'm trying to study about GPGPU like NVIDIA, ATI, IBM etc.
There is very easy to achieve NVIDIA and ATI's test requirement.
But after some test, I found N's CUDA are more attractive.
Because they have many visible and interactive samples.
But I can't find anything like that in ATI's samples, there is only numbers and more numbers.
Are there any sample can show off ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
ryta1203
Journeyman III

While I agree that the learning curve is much higher for Firestream than it is for CUDA and that Brook+ seems to be much more limited than CUDA, I don't understand what you mean by samples? The advantaes of CAL over CUDA are decreasing since there are now 3rd party tools that disassemble and assemble Nvidia assembly code (decuda).

There are samples that come with the Firestream SDK. Could you not find them in the Firestream SDK directory? Have you downloaded the Firestream SDK?
0 Likes

Ryta,
I think he is interested in samples that have visual results.

Tunghsin,
Although our SDK does not have visual results, there is Folding@home which the GPU version uses our SDK and is a 'sample' that you can show off.
0 Likes

Yes, that's right, visual sample is what I want.

In fact, we're doing business about new generation HPCs.

And I'm testing a FireStream 9170 sample card.

So the FAH GPU2 can work with 2xxx or 3xxx but none for FireStream.

I think visual and interactive samples can catch more eyes.

0 Likes

I think more visual examples(like the CUDA nbody, particles, fluids, blur ) will make the streamSDK more attractive

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bubu I think more visual examples(like the CUDA nbody, particles, fluids, blur ) will make the streamSDK more attractive

Yes, that's it.

Don't you think visual feedback is an important reason that attract so many people enrolled FAH computing ?

But FireStream 9170 still cannot FAH, right ?

0 Likes

I think the FireStream 9170 should run FAH. Not sure if there were any tweaks needed to the code though. But, I have seen it running before over here.

Michael.
0 Likes

I've tried running the FAH client with our FireStream 9170. But I did not got it to work. It's a bit strange as FAH uses exactly the same DLLs as inculded in the 1.01-beta of the Stream SDK. There seems to be some hard-coded checking in the FAH client.

I also suggest that an FAH client running on a Firestream board is quite a nice eye-catching performance demonstration (of course, only when talking to the finance guys...)

0 Likes