Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bayoumi
Journeyman III

PCI-E x8 Graphics Cards

Hi,
My question might have a partial answer at the FireStream Forum.
Assuming I use the two PCI-E x16 slots on a 790FX-based Spider platform entirely for Stream Computing (as in the case of using two FireStream boards in parallel), I cannot think of a way to get the monitor to work. I still have two empty PCI-E x8 slots to use on the motherboard, but I failed to find in you products an 8X PCI-E graphics card.

This leads me to ask about the 3D image you advertise for the Spider platform, in which four cards are connected using crossfire. Is this really realizable at the moment?

Best Regards
Amr
0 Likes
4 Replies

Hi Amr,

The FireStream 9170 will actually contain a single DVI connector which can be used as a video output, if desired.

The video port was intentionally added back onto the card to address situations just like the one you are encountering. Also, during our system qualifications and testing, we discovered that there are some workstations which contain only a single PCIe x16 slot and no integrated graphics. This would have caused our customers undue grief in trying to find an alternative video output method.

To make AMD FireStream 9170 integration into existing systems as easy as possible for our customers, we decided to provide you with the video output option on the AMD FireStream 9170.

I hope this helps solve your dilemma! 🙂

Michael.
0 Likes
bayoumi
Journeyman III

Dear Michael,
Thanks. This is good news.
Just to add some info, I also found during search on the internet that there exists some 8x to 16x riser cards, and they claim that graphics cards usually work but with half speed.
Best Regards
Amr
0 Likes

Hi Amr,

Can you send me a link (or post a link) to those x8->x16 riser cards? Thanks!

Michael.
0 Likes
bayoumi
Journeyman III

Dear Michael
Here is the link:
http://www.orbitmicro.com/glob...c-33_168_179_182.html

It warns that there exists even a 1x to 16x, but might not work with high performance graphics.

Here is the link on the original threads which pointed to the link above. They were successful to use nVidia 16x cards:
http://forums.dealnews.com/read.php?5,2559110

I also would like to add that ("I think") Spider boards built on 790FX has their 8x slots physically compatible with 16x card, so you might not need a riser cards on such boards. Maybe I should give a try using my HD3870
0 Likes