Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

AndreiB
Journeyman III

FireStream-compatible hardware

Which board to choose?

Hello,

Can someone please explain a bit about supported hardware.
As I understand currently following hardware is supported by FireStream SDK:
- FireStream 9170 (RV670)
- Radeon 2x00 (RV600)
- Radeon 3xx0 (RV670)

Am I correct?

Besides, what is the difference between RV600 and RV670? Double-precision support and ability to do random-access writes from kernel (I believe I've seen this somewhere on the docs but can't find right now)?

Your input is very appreciated, thanks in advance 😃
0 Likes
15 Replies

AndreiB,
While the Radeon 2x00 series is supported by the SDK, many great features such as random-access reads and writes and double and integer operations don't exist in the hardware.
0 Likes
Antoni
Journeyman III

Hello,

How about integrated GPUs, HD3200 and HD3400, found in AMD780G chipset?
And if they are supported by FireStream SDK what is their efficiency?

Best regards,
Antoni
0 Likes

Hi Antoni,

We don't currently have support for the HD3200 and HD3400.

I will, however, add your request to the request list.

Michael.
0 Likes

Thank you Michael for the answer and so one more qestion:

Which Mobility Radeon GPUs (if any) are supported by SDK:
HD36xx
HD34xx

HD27xx
HD26xx
HD24xx
HD23xx

X25xx
X23xx

It would be nice to have them supported, at least the 3xxx chips - by the way - do they have double arithmetics?

Thanks in advance,
Antoni
0 Likes

Hi Antoni,

Currently, we are focusing on providing support for the FireStream 9170 and the cards similar to it, such as the Radeon HD 3870 (X2) and the FireGL equivalents.

Further down the roadmap, we'll be expanding our support to the mobile line as well.

I'll have to check on DPFP support on the mobile line. I don't think so but I haven't worked with the mobile line of GPUs much myself.

I am noting your particular request for the mobile line on my request list.

Michael.
0 Likes

Any restrictions concerning AGP system interface vs PCI-express ?

This would be for developping on older systems without PCI-express.

Thanks
Jose
0 Likes

Hi Jose,

The cards currently supported by AMD Stream SDK are PCIe cards only. While I can't say that we will never support the cards on AGP interfaces, it is likely that support in the near future will be on the PCIe based cards for the higher transfer performance PCIe allows us.

Michael.
0 Likes

Not sure if this has been asked, but does the limited support include Brook+ or is it just for CAL?

Can you download and run Brook+ as you would BrookGPU? (that is to say for any GPU? How about any ATI GPU?)
0 Likes

Brook+ is built on top of CAL and tested only for CAL, so the support is going to be the same.

Our intention isn't to prevent Brook+ from running on platforms other than AMD-ATI we won't be spending any engineering resources to guarantee any support is maintained (it simply isn't practical for us to spend engineering/testing effort to cover non AMD-ATI GPUs).

The support for additional AMD-ATI GPUs will increase over time as engineering efforts allow.

Michael.
0 Likes

Request for support for HD 34x0 and 36x0 seconded.
0 Likes

Hi rahulgarg,

Your second has been noted on my request list. 🙂

Michael.
0 Likes

Could we get an updated list of supported hardware?

Specifically, is the Radeon HD 4830  supported?

How about the ATI Radeon HD 4670 ?

or the ATI Radeon HD 4550 ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

I'd just like to note for you guys that although the AMD 780G(HD3200 as oppose to 790G HD3400) chipset is not on the support list, I have run some of the SDK samples on mine.  However, the performance gain over the CPU was negliable, and I would only be interested in using it as a data-parallel low priority processor.

For that matter I do give props, on the chipset as it does seem to work (although I didn't really ever get into that much detail to gauge accuracy), and it works as well as my tricore can run the emulated kernels, speed-wise.

It was around 20something GFLOPS average on the CAL samples I tried.

Unfortunately it's always been more trouble than it seems to be worth trying to keep it running copacetically with my HD3870 in linux.

0 Likes

Is Radeon 3850 supported ?

0 Likes

If the HD4550 or 4670 are not supported in the current release, then they should be supported in one of the near future releases. We try to get support for the cards out asap, but for many cards they are supported, but just not listed as supported.
0 Likes